High Pass Sharpening

i have done this for certain shots and liked the effect. It can really help with bringing out textures and detail

I have used this method, however so far I must say that I am not absolutely sure that High Pass gives better results than unsharp mask or smart sharpen,
particularly when these can be used on their own layer and opacity changed.

I occassionally find it better to sharpen the weak channels in RGB and change blend mode to Luminosity or even sharpen just the L channel of LAB. Although the effect is similar in both cases LAB maybe the better technically.

I think a lot depends on the image content in the first instance and I certainly would not hesitate to use High Pass.

A couple of links if you are interested in other opinion:
High Pass Sharpening
High Pass Sharpening Sucks!

Real Name
Mark
I have used this method, however so far I must say that I am not absolutely sure that High Pass gives better results than unsharp mask or smart sharpen,
particularly when these can be used on their own layer and opacity changed.

Maybe I'm not reading this correctly but when I use the High Pass filter I duplicate my original background layer, once the filter is applied the blending is changed to overlay and the opacity can be altered to taste. The High Pass is it's own layer and opacity is adjustable.

I've also selectively erased the High Pass layer or used High Pass on a "layer via copy" selection, personally I think it's fairly quick and flexible. Just my two cents, I don't want to start a "best way to sharpen" argument.

Tony - Thanks fopr the links. I've been experimenting with the approach in the first link. Generally, I like the sharpening you get from LR 3; particularly with the noise controls that it has. Sometimes, though, a little highpass sharpening seems to help certain images with some extra edge detail. I was just interested in whether users were using both types of sharpening to work the same image and how they approached it.

I duplicate and apply high pass until the lines just start to show. Then change to overlay and desaturate the high pass layer, then flatten

Real Name
Mark
Goofy - That's it. I open my image in CS5, duplicate the background layer, and apply just enough high pass sharpening to tone up the edges a bit. Then I try soft light or overlay to see if I like the effect.

I guess like everything else in photography it's all subjective, some will like it and some won't. I'm not suggesting it's the best way to sharpen but IMHO it's definitely not an "all or nothing" method.

Real Name
Mark
I duplicate and apply high pass until the lines just start to show. Then change to overlay and desaturate the high pass layer, then flatten

By desaturate do you mean reduce the opacity of the High Pass layer or are you doing something completely different?

I actually lower saturation with shift+CMD+U in photoshop. I have read and also seen through example that high pass can bring in some odd coloring along the edges. This helps remove that

A key I have found valuable. A small amount of capture sharpening. Create a smart object in PS.

USM 125 amount,1.5 radius ,0 threshold. Use luminosity mode. Reduce opacity to 50%.

High pass on same layer, amount 4 pixels. Overlay mode, opacity 50% again.

Do the adjustments by clicking on the filter layers of smart object layers, there are two. Clicking the free space activates the layer style box. Clicking on the icon on the far right opens a more simplified dialog box

This gives an extremely sharp image with no halos. If you find an imperfection or an area you do not want as sharp, do a layer mask on the smart object.

There is great versatility to adjust things after the action has done the set or hard work. After all, this is the point of a smart object layer.

A big advantage is it seems to be pretty universal regarding image size.

For web at 100 ppi, reduce smart object layer opacity to 30/40/50 % on the smart object layer itself.

I have an action to run this and it takes around 3 sec.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I'm not reading this correctly but when I use the High Pass filter I duplicate my original background layer, once the filter is applied the blending is changed to overlay and the opacity can be altered to taste. The High Pass is it's own layer and opacity is adjustable....Just my two cents, I don't want to start a "best way to sharpen" argument.
Think it was my explanation that was not clear! Yes the High Pass filter applied to a duplicate layer then blending and opacity adjusted as required works well.

The point I was trying to make is that I have not seen any advantage of using High Pass over either USM, SS on its own duplicate layer or sharpening in the L of LAB - so far! There are bound to be times when one method or even a combination of methods proves to be better for a specific image. In other words the image and its final output medium (plus our experience) will dictate the method to use.

I doubt that there is a one stop solution for 'best way to sharpen'. We can only base our opinion on what works for us within the limits of our own experience and current knowledge

Last edited by a moderator:
I created an Action for High Pass Filter Sharpening. I use it to sharpen eyes. I then created a Droplet in PS CS5. In LR you can choose the droplet as an External Editor and right click to play it. In PS save and return to LR with the photo.

Think it was my explanation that was not clear! Yes the High Pass filter applied to a duplicate layer then blending and opacity adjusted as required works well.

The point I was trying to make is that I have not seen any advantage of using High Pass over either USM, SS on its own duplicate layer or sharpening in the L of LAB - so far! There are bound to be times when one method or even a combination of methods proves to be better for a specific image. In other words the image and its final output medium (plus our experience) will dictate the method to use.

I doubt that there is a one stop solution for 'best way to sharpen'. We can only base our opinion on what works for us within the limits of our own experience and current knowledge

High Pass is better for high ISO photos. It does not increase noise like USM and other sharpening can.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom