1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

High Power AF Assist??

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by jmcghee, Apr 5, 2011.

1. jmcghee

jmcghee

Feb 25, 2011
    Chicago
    Does such a thing exist?? I spend a lot of time chasing owls at night, and trying to either manual focus (and cross my fingers) or paint with a flashlight/ shoot one handed/ not flush the bird etc. is a pretty lousy way of doing things. Is there any sort of aftermarket AF assist that will work when the shutter button is 1/2 depressed, or am I wishing for something that's not out there?

2. WayneF

WayneF

Apr 3, 2006
    Texas
    I assume you are aware of the red AF-Assist light in the speedlights. Manuals say it is effective to about 33 feet. Seems to work in pitch black dark. I know of nothing else.

3. jmcghee

jmcghee

Feb 25, 2011
    Chicago
    Yeah, I'm using an SB-800 when I shoot them, but the built in AF assist usually isn't quite robust enough... sounds like I'm looking for something that doesn't exist??

4. WayneF

WayneF

Apr 3, 2006
    Texas
    I am not aware of anything else. You could carry a big flashlight I guess. :smile:

5. gwh1bass

gwh1bass

Sep 14, 2008
    Lansing MI
    Laser pointer?

6. I think a flash light is going to be likely the best option, as Wayne says speedlights have a red af assist beam that can work as well, duct tape a flash light to the camera / lens / something, one which allows you to focus the beam is my guess

7. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

Just to be totally clear. Do you mean that the SB800's AF assist isn't powerful enough? (It is a lot more powerful than the built-in one, i.e. the one in the camera body.)

I have used the SB800 AF Assist over long distances outdoors in total darkness, it works pretty well.

Over what distance are you finding it a problem?

I can also recommend a powerful head torch. That way you can aim the torch with your head while looking through the viewfinder. Some modern headtorches are as powerful as a car headlight, although those ones are quite expensive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.