High School Baseball

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by eng45ine, May 26, 2005.

1. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Just a few images from last nights regional baseball game between one of our hometown schools and another local school. Our school prevailed by a score of 3-0.
    Our team is always fast on the bases, but we came up a bit short on this attempt...

and almost got caught leaning toward second base here...

and you can always count an a good coach fighting for what is truly right in this world...

"Baseball....I love this game"

Thanks for looking............

2. Brew

Brew Guest

Nice shots!!

Where do you usually stand and which lens were you using??

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hi Bruce,

Thanks so much for the complements. I usually stand along the first base or third base line even with or behind the base. If I am allowed to shoot from the dugout, that is a great place as well. I shoot most of my games with a 300mm f2.8 or a 70-200mm f2.8. There are many times that I wish that I had a 400mm at my disposal...but I prefer a 300mm for most of my shooting. I recently learned that there is no TC available for my 300mm lens that still continues to support auto-focus. So, until I have a large sum of money fall into my hands...the 300mm is my workhorse.

Thanks for checking out my images....

4. Brew

Brew Guest

I've started shooting my sons (freshman team) games and use my new 70-200 VR. It always seems that someone is getting in my way be it the 1st or 3rd base coach, player or ump!!!! :evil: I'll have to see if the coach will let me shoot from the dugout but I'm sure my son doesn't want me in there!!!! :wink:

Anyway I'm striving to get some shots like you get and ordered a TC1.7 which should help me get a bit more reach I would think.

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Bruce, another great location to shoot is an opening in the fence between the backstop and the dugout (if available). Many of the fields in the area have an opening there for easier player access to the dugout. Another thought I'd like to mention is to kneel down while shooting to get a different viewpoint rather than to stand up and shoot. A pro sports shooter that I know recommended to me to take a good look around when you are at the field and get shots from "strange" angles. Try to get shots from vantage points that most others would never think to try (i.e. lie on your belly and shoot, focus on a player through the coach's legs, focus on a runner with a pitcher in the viewfinder but out of focus, stuff like that). Not that I'm trying to steer you away from this great forum, but take a look at www.sportsshooter.com and get some inspiration there. Pro and student shooter post their images there and they do some outstanding work there. I have e-mailed several pros from that site and they have been tremendously helpful.

Keep shooting....

6. Great action shots. Sports Illustrated may have a job for you...

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the kudos, Pa. I love shooting youth sports and I have plenty to learn about shooting and even more to learn about "tweaking" my images on Photo Shop. It would be a thrill to someday see some of my images in a publication. Time will tell.....

Thanks for checking out my images.

8. Frank,
    These are really good. I see this lens being added to my collection.

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hi Labs,

Actually, it is a very nice lens. It has plenty of reach without having too much focal length for most applications in youth sports or similar uses. The newer models will allow the use of a TC which will add focal length while only dropping the F-stop less than one.

Stay safe....

10. OH YEAH!! I love baseball shots!! Nice goin'!! :D :D :D

11. JackG

JackG

May 31, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Great shots Frank, but I don't like the finger poking at Mr. Blue.

Jack

12. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah Jack...Coach Fox never met an umpire that he didn't mind arguing with. The umpire, Bernie I think his name is, went 'round and 'round with Coach Fox on a shortstop interference with the runner call. Two things happened...the ump didn't change his mind....and he called the infraction again on the same shortstop. Note to Coach Fox...teach the shortstop to not interfere with the runners and stop messing with the umpires.

Lessons learned I suppose.....

13. JackG

JackG

May 31, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Your right Frank.

Interference is one of the toughest calls to make. That and balks.

Jack

14. Well done - some nice spot-on action there, I can almost hear the crowds. Thanks for sharing!!

Best

Peter

15. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Peter for taking a look...by the way, your images say volumes about what is happening in your part of the world.

16. Great action shots! Well done