High School Football, third consecutive shutout

Not a lot of sports shooters on the Cafe, but if any of you are ever in Northeast Tennessee and can do a game at Jefferson County High School in Knoxville, do it. This stadium has even light coverage on the field, flicker free lights, and room on both sides of the field for movement.

Dobyns-Bennett high school traveled to Jefferson County and picked up their third consecutive shutout of the season with a 35-0 win. Here are a few shots I got from the game.

Once the sun went down I was running ISO 6400 1/1000 sec., f/2.8 on both cameras, Used the Z6 with the 300mm f/2.8, and the second body was a D500 with the 24-70mm f/2.8 (none posted from the D500). I alway carry to bodies with the big lens on a monopod and the second camera will either have the 24-70mm or 70-200mm. It's a game day toss up and I went with the shorter lens and nothing came my way on the sideline or end zone.

My workflow: I shoot RAW and ingest my cards into PhotoMechanic (PM). In PM I cull the images and then caption the ones I'll be submitting to the paper. From there I will open the culled images in Capture One and do any edits. My edit in Capture One might consist of rotate and crop, an exposure adjustment if needed that would only be Brightness and maybe Saturation. Levels adjustment, Capture One auto levels is amazing. The only images that I dialed in any noise reduction on is the last one, no done on the others.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Oh to be young and strong again.
I gave up on the 70-200/2.8 lens, as too heavy for this old man. I shoot with the lighter 70-200/4.
On a double game (JV + Varsity), I shoot the JV game with a monopod, to rest my arms so that I can shoot the varsity game free-hand.

BTW, good shots. 👍
Looks like you are low kneeling.

Whats your FPS on the Z6?
How do you like it?
Your exposure is incredible. I've got 2 high schools here out of 6 that have the new LED's in the last 2 years. What a difference. but not near as good as yours.
I use my D5 with 70-200 f2.8 or my 300 f 2.8.

Whats your FPS on the Z6?
How do you like it?
Your exposure is incredible. I've got 2 high schools here out of 6 that have the new LED's in the last 2 years. What a difference. but not near as good as yours.
I use my D5 with 70-200 f2.8 or my 300 f 2.8.
I run the Z6 at 12 FPS, 12-bit RAW files. Overall I like the Z6. I would like it to be a little bigger, very unhappy Nikon didn’t design a vertical grip for it. The focus option are limited, I would like to have more like the D5 has. But my overall keeper rate is good.

Excellent and very clear and sharp photos. They all look professional. On your ISO did you have it set to Auto ISO?
Full manual ISO. It was only a few minutes into the 1st Qtr., before it was full night. This stadium is very evenly lit, so my exposure was the exact same for all the on field game action. I would change it for shots of the band in the stands.

it is almost like cheating having an EVF.

Full manual ISO. It was only a few minutes into the 1st Qtr., before it was full night. This stadium is very evenly lit, so my exposure was the exact same for all the on field game action. I would change it for shots of the band in the stands.
Lucky stiff.
I go down 1 stop inside the 15, and 2 stops in the corners.
That is fine for the eye, but it stinks for the camera.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom