High School Football

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by eng45ine, Nov 10, 2005.

1. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I haven't posted much of anything lately, so I thought that I'd offer these and ask for some critique. I found late in the football season that I reached some sort of funk and failed to capture quality images. These are just a random sampling of what I have shot over the past few weeks. Your critiques are important...please be honest!

View attachment 17956

View attachment 17957

View attachment 17958

2. These look great to me and I take inspiration from them! These look like they are from the endzone.
    I shot some for a friend last weekend ( https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=56471 )and will give it another try on saturday. I shot mostly from the sidelines but I think the endzone offers a pretty interesting perspective.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for looking, Frits. I believe that most of these images were shot from the sidelines, the second image may have been shot from the endzone though. I remember viewing the images that you posted and offering some critique. I wish the regular season wasn't finished because I would have liked opportunity to break out of this slump that I seemed to fall into. I guess the best that I can do now is to page through some magazines to see what the pros have caught...then go for it next year. In the meanwhile, wrestling and basketball are about to begin...wish me luck!!! :redface:

4. Frank, I have never seen you post a bad shot, you have an eye that can make you money, I would serious think about getting envolved with a www.printroom.com and sell your photos. You may be doing this already. Your site takes me to dbase that is why I am suggesting this to you. Parents would kill for your work. I am posting work at times half as good as yours and selling photos, a tons of photos weekly. If you want more information on earning potential, email me and we can find a time to talk.

Craig

5. equetefue

equetefue

Sep 29, 2005
    Kissimmee, FL
    what lens did you use ?

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    All of the images were taken with a Nikkor 300mm f/2.8 on a D2H

7. Very very good nice tight crops the eyes are prominent in the shot see some emotion crisp and nice colors oh what I would give to shoot a day game, Shooting tonight anxious to see how the new firmware does with AF tracking and high ISO noise

8. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I definately don't envy anyone that attempts to shoot high school football at night. I know I could do better during night games, I just have to learn how to handle my exposure settings better as well as understanding how to use fill flash more efficiently with the SB800. Thanks for viewing my images, Mike.

9. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    You've got some great stuff!! Sad that h/s football season is over...I'm not looking forward to basketball and wrestling in dimly lit dungeons!

10. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I have to agree with you, Ray. But what choice to we sports photography addicts have? I have never shot wrestling before, but it begins very soon and I am planning on giving my best effort. Basketball is another sport in which I little experience...but I guess that is what motivates me to get in there and shoot the heck out of it!!! And please accept my sincerest Welcome to the Cafe, plenty here to hold your interest. Great people enjoying all the photography has to offer!

11. Really nice Frank. I just shot a night game and realize how hard this is to come up with good shots like these.

12. Okay Frank, I'm honest. These are great shots. You told me before to have tighter crops and I have examined your photos since and now understand the impact of it. Thanks for sharing.

13. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Gordon...I don't have much of an ego, I really think that sometimes it's better to be lucky than good!!! I learn so much from all of you about composition and post-processing which in turn helps me take an image and adjust it into a better finished product. I learn something each and everyday just by reading these forums.

14. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks so much, Phil. I am learning, by trial and error, to edit my images better. I had a few pro sports shooters critique my images and they all suggested to tighten my shots radically...I don't mind doing that but cropping is truly an art all in itself. I have been taking various images and spending hours just cropping different ways to see what might be better. I am learning that cropping can make a boring image into something that tells a story.

15. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Hiya Frank! Shots looks good. Sports shooting is a tough venue even in the daylight! I think the 1st one (in particular) could benefit from a slight bump in contrast. Wished I could see the eyes on the QB in the 3rd, and for some odd reason, that last one looks posed! I know it isn't but it just strikes me that way. :tongue: I'm curious, what's your FPS set to when you take these?

16. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hi Steve and thanks for critiqueing..... I am totally with you when you speak of bumping up color and contrast, I am only now beginning to do that in post processing and these haven't been bumped. That image isn't posed, the original image shows their full bodies running closely together from the line of scrimmage with the player in the red being a defensive back covering a wide receiver. I thought that cropping real tight would bring out the intensity of the play because their eyes were so visible. Frames per second was set at 8, probably with the shutter speed it was more like 6 or 7.

17. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Thanks much for the warm welcome!! :smile: I gotta say that wrestling is much easier to shoot than BBall, but don't care much for either one to tell ya the truth. The gyms that I have to shoot are just god awful. Although this year, I'm going to be a little more prepared...I've got the Pocket Wizards and a pair of SB-800s and also will be ordering a couple Alien Bee strobes. That'll fix it!

And you're right, just get in there and give it the best effort! A good friend of mine (a Canon user :Clown:) who often shoots a couple of 1GB cards at 8fps, on h/s games calls it, "Spray and Pray" :biggrin:

18. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for posting, Ray. In the coming weeks as I post images and comments, I will read like a book if shooting isn't going well. I am heading into uncharted waters doing wrestling and have minimal experience with b-ball...time will tell!?!?!?!?!