High School Freshmen Football

Last night, I went to see Brother Rice host Joliet Catholic in a freshman high school football game in Chicago. Brother Rice prevailed in a 14-13 final.

The conditions varied during the contest. ISO settings ranged from 400 to 10,000! There was sunshine and there was rain. White balance shifted with the changing balance between the ambient and stadium lights. In the end, a good time was had by all.

1- Fun in the rain
2021-10-07 untitled shoot-64.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2- I shifted from the D850 to the Z7ii as the action got closer to me.
2021-10-07 untitled shoot-409-Edit.jpg

3- A moment of bright sunshine
2021-10-07 untitled shoot-3.jpg

4- Officials seemed to be enjoying themselves
2021-10-07 untitled shoot-262.jpg

5- The defensive end hung on to make this tackle...which was a pivotal play in the game.
2021-10-07 untitled shoot-131.jpg

6- #10 was an impact player (both running and passing) throughout the contest.
2021-10-07 untitled shoot-345 copy.jpg

2021-10-07 untitled shoot-274.jpg

8- Brother Rice scores the leading touchdown late in the game.
2021-10-07 untitled shoot-379.jpg

9- Weaving through the defense
2021-10-07 untitled shoot-350 copy.jpg

10- The extra point is GOOD
2021-10-07 untitled shoot-46.jpg

2021-10-07 untitled shoot-163-Edit.jpg

12- The game ended is some controversy. With less than 30 seconds to go in the game and down 1 point, Joliet Catholic ran a 45 yard play down to the Brother Rice five yard line. But, an official called holding on an offensive lineman--negating the big play and effectively costing Joliet Catholic the game. The coach was informing the official that this was the first holding call of the entire game. He wasn't pleased.
2021-10-07 untitled shoot-390.jpg

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Superb images, Glenn. Amazed that shooting wide open gives such adequate DOF! #5 is a great photo. I'm sure that kid would love that one!

Great images, Glenn! Really like No. 6.
Thank you!

Superb images, Glenn. Amazed that shooting wide open gives such adequate DOF! #5 is a great photo. I'm sure that kid would love that one!
Thanks Karen...the beauty of football is that I set the 500 at f4 and leave it there. I don’t shoot enough football to justify it, but the 400 f2.8 would be ideal. The players are generally so far away that wide open provides adequate depth of field.

Fortunately, I met the player’s father (from photo #5). He was thrilled with the photos from the previous game I photographed, so he now knows where to look and how to download the image.
So clean, sharp and interesting!!! Great shooting, Glenn!

You got right under there in #7.
Thanks Mitch...when a running back breaks a long run I don’t have a chance to switch lenses. So I keep the 500 on him the whole way. He basically filled the frame. The D850 does a great job maintaining focus.

Glenn

@gnagel , where are you shooting from?
All the pics except #12 look like you are shooting from outside the end zone. #12 looks like the sideline.

From the end zone, I can see using a 500.
I normally use a 70-200 on a DX camera, and my limit is about 50 yards. Beyond that I have to crop too deep into the image.

@gnagel , where are you shooting from?
All the pics except #12 look like you are shooting from outside the end zone. #12 looks like the sideline.

From the end zone, I can see using a 500.
I normally use a 70-200 on a DX camera, and my limit is about 50 yards. Beyond that I have to crop too deep into the image.
All of these photos were captured from the exact same position outside the end zone.

Glenn

Real Name
Bill Walderman
What is there to critique in these superlative images, except to ask again, are these really 14-year-old freshmen? I hope the subject of #11 will get a printed copy, which he'll treasure for life. And #12 displays another side of youth sports.

What is there to critique in these superlative images, except to ask again, are these really 14-year-old freshmen? I hope the subject of #11 will get a printed copy, which he'll treasure for life. And #12 displays another side of youth sports.
Thank you…the thing about #12 is that the coaches in general were yelling at players with every other word being a curse word. I realize it is football, but it seemed a little off given that this is a Catholic league game with 14 year old players.

Glenn

Not at all. I coached some of these players in 14U travel baseball over the summer. Our team tried to maintain good sportsmanship and didn’t tolerate cursing…from players or coaches. Then again, maybe I’m a dinosaur.

Glenn

I think it is a matter of personality and style of the individual coaches, and how they think they need to be, to control the team.

Some coaches (usually men) yell and swear at their players (usually boys) to get them to do things.
However, I've seen players getting very emotional during a game, and it "seems" that the only way to break through and into their head, to get them to listen, is to YELL and sometimes curse at them. Because when the coach cannot physically touch the player, their only other option is to YELL at the player.

I know of one coach who was suspended, because he lost control of himself and was swearing at the refs.
Yeah, setting a BAD example of sportsmanship to the kids on the team.

Then you watch coaches who do not raise their voice, and you think how can they control the team????
Yet they do, just fine.
Rather than the coach forcing the instruction to the player by yelling, the player has to pay attention to the coach. Makes for different team dynamics.
I've heard that some of the quiet coaches are scary. Their silence is a different kind of YELLING that the kids are not used to.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom