High School Rugby

I shot rugby for the first time yesterday, and for a while, I felt like I couldn't hit a pixel with a shovel :LOL:

There were a few challenges - The team I was covering had about half of their varsity players in quarantine. This meant half of the squad was called up from junior varsity, and resulted in a mismatch against their opponent. The team I was covering hardly had the ball in the first half. Plus one side of the field was in the shade, while the rest of the field was bathed in sunlight. In spite of this, I think I did ok.

Thanks to @Russ_ and @bluesmangraham for answering my questions beforehand.

All images shot with my D5 and Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 Sport Lens.

20210430_161410__D050080.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

20210430_165111__D050264.jpg

20210430_165321__D050343.jpg

20210430_165322__D050353.jpg

The first thing that I see is - they're wearing masks! Crikey, never seen that before! Not sure how much use they would be when they're hugging each other anyway, but oh well.

Those look good, you certainly don't time to change settings as someone runs from sunlight into shade of the grandstand. Auto ISO all the way!

It's certainly hard if you're trying to photo one particular team and they are getting trounced!

Same at my school. Most of the non-pool sports require masks. The only exception has been American football. Even outdoor tennis, most wear masks.
Although like in the pics, the masks in some sports often get shoved around, and sometimes just pulled down. Then it is up to the ref and coach to call the players (or not) on the masks.
With masks on, I have a HARD time IDing some of the players. I sort by jersey number, so where I cannot see the number, I have had to resort to other traits; hair color, hair style, shoe color, etc. to match up pics of the different players.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom