High Speed Sync Z6 and SB700 when off camera

Dan

Hi all,

Can anyone help with this issue. I’m trying to use two SB700s off camera with the Z6 but can’t get them to sync above 1/200. I can use the same setup with my d800 and have no issues however with the Z6 it just doesn’t seem to work. I have set the Z6 to 1/200 s (auto fp) but still see the curtain shutter in every image above 1/200.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Real Name
Andrew
How are you triggering the remote SB700's. Very important for us to know that. Describe the exact setup you are using, setting please.

Dan

Thanks for your reply. I’m just using some cheap Neewer triggers, link here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-Cha...eway&sprefix=Nikon+flash+trige,aps,136&sr=8-7

As mentioned, the same setup works fine with my D800.

The camera is set to manual, ISO was 100, I used various apertures and any shutter speed above 200 would cause varying degrees of curtain shutter to show up on the images. The SB-700s were also set to manual. I tried them on several different power settings but found the same issue.

Real Name
Andrew
Those triggers are not guaranteed to work with HSS, nor were they advertised to do such. Honestly not sure how they even worked in HSS on the D800.

The D800 flash sync is 1/250, while the Z6 is 1/200. My guess is that if you are trying to use 1/250 on the Z6, you'll start seeing the shutter curtain in the images from there forward.

The last Nikon DSLR that I know that had a faux HSS hack was the Nikon D50/D40 series cameras because of their use of CCD sensors.
If you need HSS with the SB700, I recommend getting a commander module or using another on camera flash that has a commander mode that talks to the SB-700.

There are other radio triggers that provide for HSS, so might be time to look that direction. Those Neewer triggers looked to be just straight up dumb triggers to me.

Real Name
Chris
Check in your menus that high speed sync is enabled and then manually adjust shutter speed past time and bulb you should see 1/200x to indicate its high speed sync. If your setup works for that..... being the caveat. If you find that setup doesn’t work, I would recommend looking into the Godox V860II. I currently use 3 of those and the AD400 strobe all wirelessly and high speed syncs work just fine.

Latest threads

Top Bottom