Higher Megapixel Cell Phone Cameras as 2nd Camera?

Is anyone using a rated 3.2 megapixel or up cell phone camera as an adjunct to their DSLR with good results? I'm upgrading my cell phone service and don't own a point and shoot camera as such.....The Blackberry with the 3.2 rated mp camera has caught my eye as well as two touch screen offerings from Samsung rated 5 mp and 8 mp (the "Memoir"?). Has anyone had any experience with either of these phones? Ideally, I'd like to get the new IPhone but my cell phone company doesn't offer it and I'm not really interested in "unlocking" any devices even where it's possible to do.

Thanks...

From my experience, none of the cell phone cameras, regardless of megapixels, get even close to a $150 digital P&S.

The problem with the cameras in cell phones is two fold: Too many pixels on way too small a sensor and the plastic "lens."

I consider cell phone cameras to be more scanners than cameras. They are fine for scanning in those weird new square bar code-like thingies and even for copying information from a book or magazine (this is actually a big problem in Japanese book stores), but they absolutely stink for photos. If you must, get a P&S such as the Canon G10, but if possible get a D40, D60 or D5000.

i still have no idea why people want to put camera to the phone system, pic always look bad on it anyway.

The criteria for most people is very different than photographers. They are still a great way of making snapshots much like the Polaroid days.

Low(er) quality image can be better than no image. Since pretty much everyone carries their cell phone with them anyway, camera phones can be a reasonable supplement. The only problem is you pretty much have to get a really nice (read: expensive) phone in order to have a decent camera. Here is an example. There are some sample pictures from the Motorola Zine ZN5 and they don't look too bad for a camera phone. If you think of it as a cross between a lomography (or disposable) camera and a digital point and shoot, I think you would be very satisfied with the results from some of the nicer camera phones out there.

The picture that made it on front page newspapers world wide from the Hudson River landing was made by an iphone so you can't automatically dismiss the usefulness of a camera phone.

http://earlcarter.typepad.com/carte...-captures-hudson-river-plane-crash-photo.html

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10143736-93.html

This is an excellent example of a lower quality image being better than no image. It may not have superb sharpness, color, contrast, etc, but you still capture the image and that's what it's really all about anyway.

That usually why I don't even use full image quality on my picture sizes unless I am doing critical work. If you capture the one in a million shot, no one is going to care about the IQ to the point of picking it apart.

I don't want to dispute the merits of having a picture versus no picture. I'm just saying that a cell phone camera is not a viable backup to a dSLR.

If you must, get a P&S such as the Canon G10, but if possible get a D40, D60 or D5000.

I think the OP was talking about something small enough to possibly hide away his pocket. No way any of those cameras are compact enough to fit in anyone's pocket...unless you are godzilla.

I think the OP was talking about something small enough to possibly hide away his pocket. No way any of those cameras are compact enough to fit in anyone's pocket...unless you are godzilla.

I think you would be better of with something like an ELPH because I don't think Godzilla knows how to type :wink:

I think the main argument for the use of a camera phone is that most people always have their phone with them, and thereby does away with the need to carry around an extra piece of electronics to take pictures.

I think the main argument for the use of a camera phone is that most people always have their phone with them, and thereby does away with the need to carry around an extra piece of electronics to take pictures.

I think we understand that argument but I think the OP might be pretty disappointed with cell phone pics. I for one haven't seen any that impress me. I believe that a small P&S that is pocket sized would be a good alternative. I cell phone could get the picture but I doubt anybody would be impressed by anything less than newsworthy pictures like those mentioned above.

My $0.02 :biggrin:

While on my recent travels, I took with me D300 plus lenses, Canon G7 and my iPhone. I found that if I wanted decent pics, I took my D300. If I wanted movies, I took my G7. If I wanted to send instant fun pics to the family, I used my iPhone. I think if I had movie on my D300 I don't think I would have bothered with my G7. They are coming out with a new iPhone now too, over 3 mp and should be better than the one I have.

I carry around a Panasonic Lumix LX-3 as a point and shoot. Although I wouldn't go as far as considering it a backup for my dslr, it certainly has its uses. It has a very well constructed fast f/2.0-2.8 24-60mm Leica lens, a decently sized (for a P&S) and fairly sensitive CCD sensor, shoots 2.5 frames a second and can shoot in RAW.

I have a really hard time shooting a p&s when coming from dslr image quality. A cell phone pic is something that is a last resort for me. I'll stick with the small Nikon dslr's for now.

Latest threads

Top Bottom