highlights

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Tatum, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Tatum

Tatum

Mar 23, 2006
    I own a D50, and i often experience blown highlights or what the D50 calls blown. With the blinking spots that clipped. It is usually bright whites in the sky that clip. How do you guys keep this from happening? I try and compensate with a stop or so but then I really miss some data in the shadows.
    Nikon D50
    Tokina 12-24 f/4
    ISO 200 (exclusively)

2. You have discovered one of the limitations of digital photography! Welcome to the club.

You have to decide what is important in your image, and expose for that. Sometimes you just have to "let the highlights go" in the words of Ron Reznick.

With Photoshop, you can take two exposures and combine them to partially compensate for this. Do a search within the forum on "HDR", for "high dynamic range" and you'll find more than you want to read on the subject.

3. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I've found that I can do ok by dialing in some minus exposure compensation, usually -0.3 to -1.0 depending on subject. You are correct, you will loose some details in the shadows, but I find that I can often recover some of them later in post processing thru levels adjustment. I shoot mostly jpegs and have all my bodies set to minus contrast. You can always increase contrast later, you can't take it away without the shot looking milky.

4. Tatum

Tatum

Mar 23, 2006
    ya thanks guys. I blend exposures manually on landscapes and have done hdr before but i just want it to look more like the good ole velvia 50 days.

5. jeremyInMT

jeremyInMT Guest

Agreed, but part of the problem is just dynamic range of the sensor vs dynamic range of the film.

6. You should look into getting a graduated neutral density filter. That way you can bring down the highlights while preserving the shadows.