Critique Highschool Football. Walking into the light.

Big district game last night, we won in overtime.
Played in a tropical storm.
Lighting was terrible- but there were 4 areas on the field, in front of each group of stadium lights, where there was light!!!
It was a battle in the mud.
Boy I love football in the rain.
Gary

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I remember a line from the radio announcer, back when I was in high school.

"The referee picks up the muddy ball, and wipes it with his muddy towel, and puts it back on the muddy ground."​

I was told that at my HS, with artificial turf, games only get cancelled if there is lightning.

Thanks. These kinds of portraits are now my favorite part of shooting the games. I still capture action shots, but they are essentially routine and do not really get any creative juices flowing. I now look around for the light that I want, and wait for the action to come to the light. This was one of my favorite images from friday nights game.
Gary

40 years ago my kids played high school football and I saw similar scenes. Your image brought back pleasant memories. Your image is very well done and presented.

Interesting idea.
I did not take any of those last night, at homecoming.
We lost :(
I just did not feel shooting photos of them dejected, was appropriate.
But I am also not a people photographer like that. So it is very hard for me to get some of those shots.

88 had actually just scored a touchdown and was pumped after a long drive.
I look for the emotion more than the action- at least in the individual.
I will take a dejected player if the emotion and lighting is right.
I will not take images of an injured player. That is where my line is drawn. We all approach this differently.
Gary

Big district game last night, we won in overtime.
Played in a tropical storm.
Lighting was terrible- but there were 4 areas on the field, in front of each group of stadium lights, where there was light!!!
It was a battle in the mud.
Boy I love football in the rain.
Gary

View attachment 1648467
I have to say
"Sir, this is an AMAZING capture!"
and bow down deeply.

The silhouettes, the ghosts of other players, the mood (in), the rain, the player's pose, the BW processing, the bright exposed dress, the aspect ratio, the composition, the strong feelings, the winning moment, the photographer's skill to know how to take it, the patience to get it ... - hey, even THE length of the trajectories of THE individual rain drops!

I really really like this one, if somebody has not realized yet.
(And of course great example to show why one's got a 400/2.8 on a D4. The lens is able to absolutely cut one's eyeballs with its sharpness at 3.2 or 3.5, 4.0, while still rendering amazing backgrounds. Snapping onto the action. But yes, it delivers at 2.8 if it has to ;) , and if you want it to. Great ISO also, thx to D4.)

Roland, thank you so much for the kind words. This image is presently at the framers, and will be entered in the county black and white show. I hope those judges like it as well. I love the emotion that can be captured on the field, if you are open and look for it. The kids are playing their hearts out.
I love the 400mm 2.8. It can do wonders. On our fields it pretty much stays wide open. Even the d4 doesn't handle iso over 18,000 real well. Colors get funky, so I convert to black and white.
Thanks again. The support I get from this community helps me realize I am somewhat on the right track with some of my work.
Gary

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom