Hike with me: Appalachian Trail to Rice Fields

On Friday we met a couple of friends to do a hike on the AT that was new to all of us. We got on the trail where it crosses Pocahontas Road just above the New River near Pearisburg, VA. It climbs steadily for about three miles to an open bald atop Peters Mountain on the West Virginia line, where there is a trail shelter. It climbs from about 2100 feet to 3370 feet.

The open area is called Rice Fields, but I don't know why.

We met at the trailhead at 10 AM, ate lunch at the shelter, and walked back down to the cars by about 2:45 PM. We could have gone faster, but we were out to enjoy the beautiful Fall day.
1. Trail map
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. The Trailhead on Pocahontas Road

Along the trail

5. We found a patch of bottle gentians

The trail shelter at the top

8. From the bald there is a panoramic view into West Virginia

Overall, it was a very enjoyable outing for four folks in their late seventies!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Looks like a great hike....albeit a little challenging! Beautiful photos showing the trail, view and fall colors.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
looks like an interesting walk. Just the right time of year for forest walks too.

I found the areal view interesting with that undulating landscape.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks like a great hike....albeit a little challenging! Beautiful photos showing the trail, view and fall colors.
Some beautiful scenery on what looks like a great hiking trip.
Thanks, Karen and Louie. To my surprise, the Fall colors were well advanced. They're about a week early this year.

looks like an interesting walk. Just the right time of year for forest walks too.

I found the areal view interesting with that undulating landscape.
This is my favorite time of year for hikes in the woods.

Sounds like a fun time.
A fun time was had by all!

My kind of day— few and far between these days, but your pictures are the next best thing! Thanks for sharing, Jim.
Thanks, Nick. I could have wished for a prettier day. It was overcast and very windy at the top, making the mid-50s temperatures feel pretty chilly.

Such an enjoyable series! Two friends stayed in Floyd last week, so your photos displayed the colors they surely enjoyed on their hikes.
Thanks, Mike. I haven't been down that way recently but it was probably similar.

Looks like this coming week will be peak week for Fall colors here.

great set Jim, I'm now a believer in that light combo
how far round trip ?
Thanks, Randy. For me, the Z50 + 16-50 is perfect for hikes like this. I also had the 50-250 in my backpack, but never used it. The weight is practically unnoticeable.

The hike was six miles roundtrip, but seemed like farther because of the elevation change.

Jim, these are wonderful photos. I have got to come and see your beautiful area. The Z50 and 16-50 really shines in these photos. I haven't been able to get out and hike with mine since our Teton Trip. Greg's bum hip and all our visitors have kept me at home. Hopefully I can get out before all the fall colors are gone here. Of course, they are nothing like yours!!

The hike was six miles roundtrip, but seemed like farther because of the elevation change.
When I first reviewed your thread, I examined the topo map and took note of the climb in the first half of the hike. Then I took into account your age and that you had a stroke barely more than a year ago that put you in a coma. Your recovery is nothing short of mind-boggling. I even mentioned it to my wife.

Jim, these are wonderful photos. I have got to come and see your beautiful area. The Z50 and 16-50 really shines in these photos. I haven't been able to get out and hike with mine since our Teton Trip. Greg's bum hip and all our visitors have kept me at home. Hopefully I can get out before all the fall colors are gone here. Of course, they are nothing like yours!!
Thanks, Terri. I hope you'll be able to get out hiking soon.

When I first reviewed your thread, I examined the topo map and took note of the climb in the first half of the hike. Then I took into account your age and that you had a stroke barely more than a year ago that put you in a coma. Your recovery is nothing short of mind-boggling. I even mentioned it to my wife.
Thanks, Mike. I didn't mention it, but the husband in the couple that joined us is about two years younger than me, but had a heart attack and bypass surgery just over two years ago. Modern medicine is amazing.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
What a marvelous hike Jim. As a Boy Scout I hiked parts of the Appalachian Trail in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. Being up high on those balds and seeing out over the landscape is breath taking. I really appreciate these pictures you shared. They bring back such fond memories for me. You had great weather too.

Thanks, Terri. I hope you'll be able to get out hiking soon.

Thanks, Mike. I didn't mention it, but the husband in the couple that joined us is about two years younger than me, but had a heart attack and bypass surgery just over two years ago. Modern medicine is amazing.
Yes. Your recovery is a miracle.

Very nice, Jim. Wish I was there but the photos are a very nice substitute. Lovely views.
Thanks, John. Let me know when you are down this way and we can go for a hike.

What a marvelous hike Jim. As a Boy Scout I hiked parts of the Appalachian Trail in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. Being up high on those balds and seeing out over the landscape is breath taking. I really appreciate these pictures you shared. They bring back such fond memories for me. You had great weather too.
Thanks, Walter. I haven't done much hiking in the Smokies but I would like to.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom