1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Hiking to 12,162 feet with the D3 and 14-24. Worth it?

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Vernon t, Jul 25, 2008.

1. You bet! It just makes the workout better.
    D3 and 14-24 and hiking boots. (and 24-70 and 16mm and 180mm):biggrin:

4 caps CS3 photo-merged.
    Left to right:
    Gunnison valley, CB South, Crested Butte, Mount Crested Butte, Gothic.

We have a condo in CB South so I may frame a big one for my office wall.

Less downsized here 1000x3700 px ........http://upload.pbase.com/vernix/image/100702629/original

2. pointa-b-c

pointa-b-c

Mar 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Good job, and great effort. :cool: 

3. Wow... pretty awesome. My daughter will be in Gunnison tomorrow for a band camp.

4. sbruno

sbruno

Jul 20, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Nice! I wonder - could you have nabbed a smilar image with only the 16mm fish? Might have saved your back some :) 

5. sbruno

sbruno

Jul 20, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Or - is that a 360 degree pano....?

6. davewolfs

davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    I commend you.

I learned my lesson the hard way. My last hike with camera gear was 10 miles and started at 11,000 ft. The previous day I was sipping my coffee at sea level.

I had two bodies (my wife got tired holding her camera), 3 lenses total, a tripod and flash, snacks and water.

My luck, the last 4.5 miles of the hike was straight up. Needless to say, I feel lucky I made it. Never again will I travel with more then a single camera and lens :) 

Nice shot!

7. Yes it was worth it, nice shot, or should I say shots. I do that (hike) quite a bit as well around here.

8. DABO

DABO

Jan 13, 2006
    That is definitely a WOW picture!

DAB

9. vernon
    what an incredible picture
    you were very brave to make that arduous trek with such weight

well done, my friend
    great result

10. i hope that you will be showing us MANY MORE PICTURES, when you have the time and inclination

11. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Definitely worth it ! Beautiful panorama !

12. Love the pano! I only wish I had the opportunity to lug such gear up the mountains with me. The D200 and my Sigma trio is all I can afford burden myself with these days ;) 

[​IMG]

13. menbrial

menbrial

Apr 30, 2006
    colorado
    hi vernon t

i live there, u can see my house on ur pic!

14. Yes!
    Very lovely!
    I keep having to relearn the same lesson too. You only need the right lens.
    Fred

15. Oh, yeah. That was worth it!

16. Thanks all.

Fro those that asked.
    The 14-24 set to 20mm. 4 shots covering about 200 degrees.
    I would have done a "400 degree" shot with each end duplicated but there were about 10 other people up there at the moment and they wouldn't have added any interest.

I did do the same shot with the 16mm fish, 2 shots cover the same area but the sharpness suffers, of course.

Menbrial....you are lucky to live there. We've been going there for about 15 years. It's worth the 1000 mile drive just to smell the air, catch a 4 inch brookie in a beaver pond and eat a pizza at the Secret Stash!!

Sadly I'm back in Texas with 95 degree heat and 95 % humidity.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.