Hillside Light and Shadow

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by dougkess, Dec 15, 2005.

1. original.
    Model NIKON D70
    Flash Used No
    Focal Length 50 mm
    Exposure Time 1/250 sec
    Aperture f/8
    ISO Equivalent 200
    Exposure Bias -1/3
    White Balance (10)
    Metering Mode matrix (5)
    JPEG Quality (6)
    Exposure Program program (2)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2005
  2. Okay, I'll respond to my own post. Anybody else think this is oversharpened?
    I like the composition but I accidentally over sharpened it in Pixmantex Raw Shooter. Forgot to save the original before PP. Let that be a lesson. Back up, back up.

3. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Just getting a red 'x' in the message post, had to go to your PBase page to find it. Might want to check the PBase linking instructions.

I like the picture, the hill makes an interesting subject and the dramatic sidelighting on the top part of the hilll contrasts with the overcast skies and shadowed foreground. I'm not sure about partial tree in the right foreground; not enough of it is visible to be a center of interest for me. It does seem a tad over-sharpened, but not terribly so (others will probably disagree, I tend to like a bit less sharpening than many seem to prefer).

Overall it's a nice image, well done.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Wow Doug - that's a magical looking photo! The lighting is just right, I feel like I could run down that hill and just start flying!

As for the sharpening, I don't see any halos, so it's now too sharpened. The question is, does it fit your intent? If you think it's too sharp, can you start over from the original NEF? (Which shouldn't be affected.)

(Oh, by the way, I changed the url of the picture in your post. Look here for an article by our Uncle Frank about the best way to link from pbase to the Cafe.)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. It's very pretty Doug and typical of California landscape in the Spring. I took one almost like it near Pleasanton, California but mine had cows grazing on the grass. The lighting on your image is wonderful. I don't think its too sharp.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice image. I love the light and colors.

That looks like a nasty storm....in the back ground

Forgot to mention. I see no oversharpening.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2005
  7. Doug,
    I really like the feelings conveyed here. You did great and I do not see oversharpening on my monitor.
    Dave

8. actually this would make a great screen saver!

9. Thanks everybody. There was a magical feel in the air just before a big storm hit. I got back into the car just in time.

10. PixelPete

PixelPete Guest

I love this one Doug.The light is wonderful.It reminds me of the time I passed through that area many years ago.A town called Marysville sticks in my head.Is this close to there perhaps?

11. Looks great to me...

I don't notice any over-sharpening artifacts. The shot itself is fantastic, let's see some more.

Dave

12. Beautiful shot, Doug. I agree with others, great light and no over-sharpening.

13. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Doug

Looks great on my monitor - no problem re sharpening.

I agree - a great screensaver - but better still - a great shot with that lighting.

All the best

Ray

14. Cherokee

Cherokee

Nov 27, 2005
    Alabama
    Great light, Doug, and light is what photography is all about. This image is reminiscent of Art Wolfe's wonderful book, "Light on the Land" which you may want to check-out at the local library (I think it is no longer in print).
    As to sharpening, take it up to 100% in PS and look for haloes at the edges, but I suspect it will be okay.
    Nice shot, lets see some more.
    Robert

15. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Beautiful compositon. Very Nicely Done !

Regards

RFC

16. Thanks again everybody. This was taken in the foothills just below Tehachapi, California. I've always liked that hill, and the imminent storm added irresistable drama.