Hilltop Aces vs After Shocks (Roller Derby) Updated 4/28

Got out again to do some Derby shots. I always love going to these events. I forget sometimes to take photos and cheer on these ladies!

Poor lighting can be rough, but I think the D700 pulled it out.

Updated 4/28/2011 Cropped a little tighter as Brad suggested, lightened up some more. Hope they are improved. To be honest I am not sure why I didn't crop these tighter the first time. This wasn't close to my first Derby, and I usually like to tighten things up... ah well. I want to thank Brad for calling me out on it and helping me.

dsc_2843-M.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

dsc_2951-M.jpg

dsc_2976-M.jpg

dsc_3024-M.jpg

dsc_3060-M.jpg

More here if anyone is interested.
Hilltop Aces vs. After Shocks

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd run em thru PS or LR and do a quick levels adjustment. They all could use it. Kinda dark. Shoot/Crop tighter will really help these out too.

Shooting at 5.6 is asking a lot of the d700 too. But for times when things arent moving too fast..ie the last 3...you have room to drop the ss a bit to get the exposure where it needed to be. I know 5.6 is prob as wide as your lens would go. Thus the reason fast lenses are so coveted for sports :biggrin:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not finished with them yet. I think my monitor is making these look lighter on my side I discovered that as well when I viewed them on another computer.

I don't think ill be cropping them much tighter though.

Thanks again Brad!

No problem on the crops. But its the eyes that have all the power. The last one might make an interesting vertical...or crop to upper right quadrant...

then second from the last (you should number them) would be quite strong as just the lower rt quadrant...ie focus on her eyes. The rest of that frame does nothing for the composition at all.

3rd one up is fine...but still would be stronger with just the few girls shes talking to...and more eye contact visible.

4th one up..sorry working back up....would be much stronger if the eyes of the oncoming girls were more heavily featured (closer) and the rt side and top bring nothing to the composition

5th up...nice but again 25% off the top is block wall. Adding nothing. Cut it out and it gets instantly stronger. You can even leave the other girl in the foreground, thats nice.

top image...same thing essentially losing the ceiling, wall, chairs and floor in the foreground eliminates alot of distractions while bringing the subject closer to filling the frame.

anyway, keep on shooting, you are on the right track for sure. As for not finished with them....i'd recommend not posting them here until you at least have the basics finished...ie cropping, and exposure/color/contrast processing done.

No problem on the crops. But its the eyes that have all the power. The last one might make an interesting vertical...or crop to upper right quadrant...

then second from the last (you should number them) would be quite strong as just the lower rt quadrant...ie focus on her eyes. The rest of that frame does nothing for the composition at all.

3rd one up is fine...but still would be stronger with just the few girls shes talking to...and more eye contact visible.

4th one up..sorry working back up....would be much stronger if the eyes of the oncoming girls were more heavily featured (closer) and the rt side and top bring nothing to the composition

5th up...nice but again 25% off the top is block wall. Adding nothing. Cut it out and it gets instantly stronger. You can even leave the other girl in the foreground, thats nice.

top image...same thing essentially losing the ceiling, wall, chairs and floor in the foreground eliminates alot of distractions while bringing the subject closer to filling the frame.

anyway, keep on shooting, you are on the right track for sure. As for not finished with them....i'd recommend not posting them here until you at least have the basics finished...ie cropping, and exposure/color/contrast processing done.

Thank you for the suggestions. I really do appreciate the feedback, I just disagree with your last paragraph, or the tone perhaps.

Understand that I posted my monitor must be off since I noticed how dark these were. So technically I thought at the time I was basically finished. As for the cropping, I agree However some of these were cropped, if I hadn't posted them how would I have gotten your suggestions. :)

Don't take that the wrong way because I do appreciate your feedback. Now, I'll be off to make some adjustments so that we can see before and afters.

Went back through and made some crops a little tighter just as you suggested and I think they are looking better. Again, thanks Brad! I really enjoy your shots on the forum and its a pleasure to hear critiquing from someone as talented as yourself.

I think I just took the tone wrong, so I apologize if I came off like a jerk.

ahhhh no worries mate! Its always difficult. Both giving a critique that wont be taken poorly...and in hearing one and accepting that whomever gave it might be correct. I've certainly been on both sides of that one. Feel free to PM me any time if you want to chat and go over in detail anything at all.

Theres lots of great shooters here in this forum, so its a great place to hang out and learn. I try to learn something...even if its small (or huge) every time here. I actually learned a really useful tip from Mike Mac today....so its great to be open to what the many talented folks here have to offer.

ahhhh no worries mate! Its always difficult. Both giving a critique that wont be taken poorly...and in hearing one and accepting that whomever gave it might be correct. I've certainly been on both sides of that one. Feel free to PM me any time if you want to chat and go over in detail anything at all.

Theres lots of great shooters here in this forum, so its a great place to hang out and learn. I try to learn something...even if its small (or huge) every time here. I actually learned a really useful tip from Mike Mac today....so its great to be open to what the many talented folks here have to offer.

Sounds good to me Brad! I think I will take you up on the offer. I appreciate the chance to keep learning!

fun stuff, and I echo what Brad has suggested...great resources here.

A work colleague's daughter does roller derby, I should try to find one of her 'matches' (?)

They call em "Bouts" but its all the same, I doubt anyone would be confused if you referred to it as such.

Its a lot of fun, this is probably my 20th bout I have shot.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom