Hint of a smile. (My Daughter)

Discussion in 'People' started by cwilt, Nov 11, 2005.

1. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Purchased studio lights today but only had a few minutes to play with one light.

44005811-O.

2. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Cwilt,

Very nice shot, the nose shadow is a little harsh but overall nice image. What was your lighting setup? What studio strobes did ya get?

Dan

3. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Single light, right of camera and slightly above with a silver bounce umbrella. I didn't have a light meter with me to set main and fill ratio. Just guessed at exposure with histogram. Strobes are Elinchrom BX400's. Only have 2 at this time, but will probably add at least 2 more. Need a hair light, and background light.

I have been using SB800 and SB600's until now. Lots more power to play with and new lighting patterns to learn.:smile:

4. Cwilt...It is not necessay to have a backlight and hairlight. I have two Bowens and they light up the subject very nice. For better lighting, I find that if I move the lights closer to the subject that the lighting will be much better. Just some advice from someone who uses strobes. Also if you don't have a light meter, get one because it will be your best friend when using your lights. It tells you exactly what aperture you need when you shoot A priority.

5. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Cwilt

Now for me that is a lovely shot.

I like the pose, the crop and the sharpness of the image.

Re the dark shadow - you could remove as follows if you felt a need, (only did the lower part- can do the top also) but I think you should just frame and hang.

Very best wishes

Ray

[​IMG]

6. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I have been using speedlights with softboxes up to now so I have a little experience. The use of a hair light really depends on the hair and the mood. I would rather have one handy when I need it than to not have one.:wink:

The backlight is either used for rim lighting the subject or to light the background. Again it depends on what look I am after. As for light meters, I have a couple so no worries there.

7. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Cwilt:
    Nice portrait,lighting is good.