Hints for Aquarium Pictures

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aerostat56, Jul 13, 2007.

1. I am going to the Atlanta Aquarium and need some hints to get good pictures. Is it possible with all that glass.
    I have a D40X and may have an SB-600 by then.

2. Yes it is possible. Get close to the glass and have someone behind you block any reflection. Do not be afraid to raise the the ISO if you are shooting without flash. if you are using flash you must get it off camera so as to preclude reflections from the glass. There have been some very nice shots taken at aquarium's and I have even managed to get some myself.

3. One big suggestion: DON'T USE THE FLASH ON THE CAMERA!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

4. Shooting with the fishes

Go out and spend $100 or so dollars on a Nikon 50mm f/1.8. Better yet, since you are in Atlanta, go to KEH and see if they have a used one or even an f/1.4. Work the lens between wide open and about f/4. Use the center auto focus point. Don't use the flash and don't be afraid to bump up the ISO a bit, especially on the D40x which I understand has excellent high ISO capabilities. Tripod will not work because there are too many people, but you might try a monopod (tough with moving subject in the tank).

Use good shooting technique. No "chicken wing" arms. Keep those elbows tucked into your body, press the viewfinder tight against your eye and if available, lean you body against something solid. Anything to help keep you steady. For faster fishes at slower shutter speeds, pan with them. This will keep the fish sharp and blur the background which implies motion.

So how are things in the Atl these days? I lived there from 93-96.

Here are some sample and a gallery link. Good luck and have fun.

http://www.pbase.com/recalcitrantron/friends_of_luca_brasi

View attachment 105820

View attachment 105821

5. Ptchfork

Ptchfork

Jul 8, 2007
    New York City
    20070523-DSC_10131-E.

20070523-DSC_10220-E.

20070523-DSC_10140-E.

20070523-DSC_10014-E.

6. A simple way to deal with reflections is to buy a rubber lens hood that will fit the lens that you are going to use.This will allow you to press the lens against the glass and the rubber will bend.

7. Ptchfork

Ptchfork

Jul 8, 2007
    New York City
    Awesome idea!!!

8. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have had good luck shooting through glass with a flash. I touch the lens hood right onto the glass and then take my left hand and cover the top of the hood so no reflection hits the lens. I've used this method with with good success in an aquariam and in a wind tunnel for skydivers.