His Eye is on The Sparrow...

D

DW Brewer

Well, the temps are finally (if briefly) above freezing, and the sun was out. The small birds were crowding into my feeder complex, so I ventured outside with a camera for the first time in days. Imaged lots of Chickadees and Cardinals, but I concentrated on the Sparrows. Imaged a couple of English Sparrows; good practice with the D500 + 500mm + SB800 & BB. Got some wonderful images of this sparrow, and I'm struggling with an ID. I've been using SPARROWS OF THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA, THE PHOTOGRAPHIC GUIDE. I am hardly an expert at identifying sparrows, so I thought I would post some images here and ask for help. I have a tentative ID in mind, but rather than "influence" people "more knowledgeable than I," I will withhold my guess u
sparrow 012218 (8 of 31)workzzahalusmaa.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
sparrow 012218 (12 of 31)worzz ahalusmaa.jpg
sparrow 012218 (17 of 31)workzz ahalusmaa.jpg
ntil others have had their say. I am posted some different poses to show features (beak color, breast feathers, crown, wing bars, etc.), hope this helps...

This is an unremarkable and difficult bird! At the expense of making a fool of myself I'll suggest White-crowned Sparrow after having gone through 1 field guide and 2 sparrow books.

Larry

D

DW Brewer

This is comforting: I trust Larry (fishbio) to be an informed professional whose knowledge far outstrips mine. To set the problem, here deep in southern Illinois, we get quite an influx of sparrow species during the winter, this includes several indigenous species who reside here year-round, and migrating species, to include some whose range supposedly lies outside our region (as if birds can read guidebooks and look at colored maps to see if they belong...). I began this ID project going through my guide books examining every species I could recall seeing here, then expanded the search by searching through the adults of every sparrow species. Nothing fit, so I consulted the many juvenile and hybrid examples. I used the beak and feet coloration, the crown shape and color, the relatively clean breast (i.e., no prominent stripes, as in Song Sparrows), and the double wing bars, to arrive at a conclusion that I imaged a juvenile or first winter White Crowned Sparrow; I could not find enough information to differentiate between a juvenile and a first winter. To complete the ID, compare the images I originally posted with those of adult White Crowned Sparrows, imaged the same day. The double wing bars cinched my ID.
sparrow 012218 (24 of 31)workxx ahalusmaa.jpg
sparrow 012218 (30 of 31)workxx ahalusmaa.jpg
sparrow 012218 (31 of 31)workxx ahalusmaa.jpg

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom