Historic Harborside - Bergen, Norway

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by bobhoge, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Our recent adventure from Norway to Scotland to Faroe Islands to Iceland started in Bergen, Norway. We went two days before the sailing to have some time there.

The historic harborside is a UNESCO World Heritage site. Bergen was the capital of Norway in the 1200's and was a Hanseatic Trading City for 400 years starting in 1360. These buildings were used as warehouses by the Hansa traders and were built soon after a major fire in 1702.
    164636245-L.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Each of the buildings has a passageway that leads back to more warehouses in the narrow alley.
    [​IMG]

The overhangs were lifting hoists that moved merchandise to the upper levels.
    [​IMG]

The second floors were sometimes extended out with selected tree limbs used to support them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most of these wooden buildings are now used for commercial businesses, shops and restaurants. There were also slightly more recent brick and stucco buildings from the Hansa times.
    [​IMG]

More to follow,
    Bob & Nan

2. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    A really beautiful series of images. Bet you have a great time :)

Regards

RFC

3. Very nice pictures of the harbourside! I like the 2nd one the best.

4. A beautiful set.

I was there more than 20 years ago. Thanks for bringing back the memories.

5. Beautiful series, such a quint town.

6. Very beautiful! I've never many images of Norway, these sure make me want to visit! :smile:

7. Thanks everyone, it was a very photogenic place.

Hi Gretchen,

I'm sure you would enjoy a visit, but don't forget your wallet, it is expensive!

Jet lagged on the first evening we wanted something quick so we ate at this familiar establishment in a building built in 1719:
    [​IMG]

2 Quarter-Pounders + 1 Fries + 1 Side Salad = 125 Norwegian Kroner = $21.00 US Dollars -- Ouch! :eek:
    (To go and no drinks)
    And we had to wait in quite a long line :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bob & Nan