Hit a Trifecta on Saturday!

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by drueter, Aug 9, 2005.

1. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Went to visit a local monument site that I haven't visited before (only lived here for 2 years) and got a 3 for 1 deal!! An interesting monument, an old battleship, and BIRDS!! all at the same location.

The San Jacinto Monument - commemorating the Battle of San Jacinto between Texas and Mexico in 1836, which resulted in Texas' independence and the creation of the Republic of Texas. This monument is actually a few feet taller than the Washington Monument (leave it to Texas to build something bigger!!) -

View attachment 13506

The battleship USS Texas, launched in 1912 and retired in 1948 -

View attachment 13507

View attachment 13508

And, the birds. There were lots of different species here, but many paths through the marsh were closed for the summer, so I couldn't get close enough for many good photos. I'll definitely be back in late fall to shoot the birds -- maybe I can justify that 200-400 VR before I go????

View attachment 13509

2. Hey Don, nice diversity of image. All well done.

3. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Now that's a good looking ship with great lines. Thank you for sharing.

4. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Gordon - Thanks for the kind comments. It is a very interesting place to visit - history of different eras and lots of wildlife. I just can't believe I waited 2 years to go there.

Scott -- Yes, it's a good looking ship. It's been well restored and gives one a feeling of what it would have been like to be on a great battleship in WWI and WWII.