Hit And Run

I heard a loud crash out my living-room window and grabbed my trusty D200 to take a couple of snaps... turns out the people in these shots pulled out and hit a Chrysler Sebring which then proceeded to take off despite major damage.

It was raining out and I was in shorts so I didn't stick around long...

HitAndRun1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

HitAndRun2.jpg

HitAndRun3.jpg

Wow.. amazing pictures. Sorry for the hit and run, the h & r driver
should be beat to a pulp.

But, how did you take these pictures without the police coming
over to you to ask what you are doing? Did anyone come talk
to you? Did you have to ask for permission to take pictures?
Or did you just walk up to the scene and snapped away?

Tks!

Wow.. amazing pictures. Sorry for the hit and run, the h & r driver
should be beat to a pulp.

But, how did you take these pictures without the police coming
over to you to ask what you are doing? Did anyone come talk
to you? Did you have to ask for permission to take pictures?
Or did you just walk up to the scene and snapped away?

Tks!

Thanks for your comments Larty!

I basically just went up to the scene (arrived before the police did) and began snapping photos like I belonged there.

Was shooting with the D200 with the grip on and the 28-70 with the hood... so it looked like a pretty big pro rig. As a result, I think most people thought I was shooting for the paper as they made room for me and were respectful of my unobstructed field of view etc.

It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission. If you have the right attitude and seem to know what you are doing, you can get away with pretty much anything :smile:

Ray, if someone had gotten hurt would you have still taken the shots?

I only ask because something similar happened to me last week and at first I reached for my camera but then I noticed the paramedics treating someone so I put it back in my bag.

Ray, if someone had gotten hurt would you have still taken the shots?

I only ask because something similar happened to me last week and at first I reached for my camera but then I noticed the paramedics treating someone so I put it back in my bag.

I think I would have been actually more inclined to take more photos if someone had been hurt. I would have then offered them to the victim of the hit and run and the police if they needed them for court etc. thereafter.

I can totally understand your reaction however; and while I say what I do above, one can never really know how they'll react in these types of circumstances until they are faced with them.

Latest threads

Top Bottom