"Hit me baby one more time"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PGB, Jun 10, 2005.

1. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Anyone watching this show? Its like an Idol for 80's one hit wonders and people that faded after their hits. They bring back 5 artists from the past and they compete to win 20k for the charity of their choice.

Last night was awesome. The line up was

The Motels

Tommy Tutone

Haddaway

Vanilla Ice

Leigh and I love this show. We need a gettaway from the Wiggles, Arthur, Barney, Jay Jay the Jet Plane, SpongeBob, Wiggles. Did I mention the Wiggles? We watch a lot of that crap.

:)

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Patrick,

Your post put a huge smile on the face. :D Talk about "been there, done that". Our girls are older now...22 and 16 with the older owning her own home and moving out when she was 20. But be warned...your current programing will change to....MTV and I can wait to hear about how you will react to that!!!! :evil:

3. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    he he he....probably close to CMT...our boys are partial to country music. But our youngest is almost 2 and loves to dance to ANYTHING! Seriously though, Patrick's right. That show is cool. Last night's was really good...Vanilla Ice won.

BTW, from your avatar, I'd never guess you'd have kids that were grown!!!

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hi Leigh,

Yep...our girls are getting older and thanks for the complement...turning 51 in a week or so. Gina will be 23, she's self-employed and living La Vita Loca! Has her own home...drives a spiffy new car...loves to vacation a few times a year...she's doing very well and we couldn't be prouder.
    Marissa is 16 and just finished her finals awaiting her Junior year of high school. She's about ready to get her driver's license...good driver, but that doesn't inhibit the worry that goes along with tolerating a new driver in the family.
    Blessed with two outstanding daughters...a boy would have been nice, but I wasn't cheated having daughters. Maybe someday, I'll get a son-in law. He had better be into cars, cameras and Cubs!!! :lol:

5. 8765409

Isnt that the Tommy Tutone song, I will have to check out this show thansk for the heads up
    and I always liked the Motels song Suddenly

6. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I didn't watch after a glimpse or two mostly because I didn't know those singers.....maybe if the "contestants" were :oops:
    Fabian
    Shirelles
    Wanderers
    Four Freshman

or others like that.....but maybe they're no longer living.....oh well, getting "old" has it's rewards too, if only I could remember what they are.... :lol:

7. So sorry....my three boys are taken. All college graduates and fervid Chicago Cubs fans. They were taught by my wife, a fanatic Cub fan from birth. She denies it, but she occasionally would cut high school to go to a game....had dinner once at Ernie Banks' home. She would bring cookies for the players. (It was a different world in the late 1950s.)

The greatest gift she's received was a XM2Go hand-held XM satellite radio. They play ALL major league baseball games. Even traveling through the loney forests of Canada between Montreal and Quebec City she could hear every play. She loves Ron Santo...he does the color.

Rich

8. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Rich,

Thanks for sharing your wife's story from her past. I don't know how long it has been since she sat in Wrigley, but it is truly charming venue for baseball. I was there this past Monday and I have two more games later this month. The Cubs struggle and usually aren't expected to win the division, let alone the Series, but they draw over 3 million fans annually playing predominantly day baseball. It's not the easiest park to get to, the parking is difficult and the food isn't anything to write home about...but there is something about the "Cubs"....
    And as the legendary Ron Santo ages...his color broadcasting is priceless. He stutters, forgets his train of thought, forgets players names, gets totally mad when a player causes an error or strikes out with runners on base. His partner, Pat Hughes, does a remarkable job making Ron look good. It's a beautiful thing. My next game is special for us, we have front row seats between the Cubs dugout and the backstop...I hope to post some images of Wrigley for all to see...Cubs lovers or not!

9. She's right. You are a kid :wink:.

I've got one of each, but if I had to have 2 of a kind, I would have voted for daughters. Don't get me wrong; I love my son to pieces, but it sure was hell going through is teenage years.

I hate to tell you this, mate, but you don't get a vote :lol:.

My criterion is simple. If he makes my daughter happy, he's OK in my book.

10. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Uncle Frank,

I thank you for your insight.....

First...at almost 51, I am surrounded by co-workers in their 20s and I can keep up with them physically, mentally??? and musically ( I still love my rock and roll).... 8)

Secondly, "ain't no shame in having daughters". Plus a lot of fun intimidating the dates that arrived to pick up my oldest...enjoyed teasing them with threat of bodily harm is she came home crying.... :shock:

And lastly, I know I don't get to choose and I wholeheartedly agree, "as long as she's happy and is treated good" and that takes me back to threat of physical violence. I drive a four-wheel drive pickup truck...that truck will take me deep into the woods where no one will find what appears to be a shallow grave... Okay, back to reality...but it's fun making the guys wonder what I am capable of! :twisted:

11. From the looks of your avatar, they don't need to wonder :twisted:.

12. What a coincidence, me and my wife where in the crowd of a famous Music-TV Show. Which was originally aired in the 80`s.

They now show old music-videos and have the stars of that time Live on Stage!

Yesterday they got for example:

Paul Young
    The Hooters (The Band, not what you think! :wink:
    Foreigner (Great performance!)
    Dexy`s Midnight Runners (anybody remember: "Come On, Eileen"?, Now guess what our Daughter is named after!)

It sure was fun!

Patrick and Leigh:
    What`s the complaining? Sponge Bob isn`t so bad! Have you ever seen TeleTubbies?
    As for now, we would only need a getaway from our daily Pingu-Show (a Ritual, before Eileen gets to bed!)

BTW: How is Vanilla Ice looking now?

Frank:
    When my daughter gets in that Age, I will remember your way of dealing with "the dates" :twisted:

13. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    As a single guy in my mid 50s I am amazed I know what you are talking about. My girlfriend has a 4 and 6 year old (and I am their frequent babysitter), soI get to watch all that stuff (except Barney) with them. Actually Sam, the 6yo is getting into all that Jetix stuff (Power Rangers, Pokemon, Duel Masters...) I don't know which is worse, Wiggles or Power Rangers. Either way, it will rot out an adult's brain.

(OTOH, I kinda like SpongeBob.)

14. Like he has spent most of the past decade in a maximum security prison. :D

15. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Something about "shay with a gauge, vaaanilla with a nine!" I think that got him in trouble with the law Joe :lol: