Hit the wall

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by huskey8, Jul 25, 2005.

1. huskey8

huskey8

Feb 22, 2005
    Well after countless hours of struggling to come to some kind of a reasonable result I have come to the conclusion that I can no longer justify the amount of time I’m investing shooting in raw. I have tried so many workaround and nothing seems to improve the amount of time it takes me to PP a shot and then the quality is really not remarkably better then jpeg fine. So for the time being anyway I’m going back to using Photoshop exclusively and you know what I’m enjoying post processing again .

2. I know exactly where you're coming from.

The one advantage I find with RAW is that you have more scope for correcting exposure mistakes - and I make a lot of those!

PP with RAW is a PITA, though.

:cry:

3. Were you using Nikon Capture for your RAW PP?
    From what i've heard/tried even with D70 files I'm happier with Photoshop..... I use CS2 and ACR 3.1 for my RAW work now instead of anything by Nikon....Its pretty easy for me to work with, I converted over 250 shots from RAW to DNG, adjusting each for sharpness, WB, exposure and so on within the course of a very distracted day. I then did a DNG to JPEG conversion.
    Of course with the D2X WB fiasco, it must be kinda rough on PP with 3rd party programs. I just wish everyone would work to a compromise! Adobe is a giant, Nikon is a much smaller giant. They should work together!
    I still wonder one thing.....if you remember what it looked like in the first place, how hard is it to click the little box to the approximate lighting, then drag the slider a couple of times to see what's best.....I mean, it probably isn't much harder than adjusting it in the first place.
    But then, it probably gets a bit tedious after a few hundred shots.
    Nikon does know how to churn out quality JPEGS from their cameras though, especially the D2X.
    And Photography....well, its all about having fun.

4. Richard,

What steps are you taking. I just got back from a 2 week vacation and PP about 250 NEFs in a couple of evenings. That included editing from the 2000+ frames that I started with. BTW, I use Photo Mechanic, NC 4.3 and PSCS.

5. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Richard, take this with a grain of salt because I'm no expert at any of this, but I use Nikons editor to correct exposure... which is rare because I almost ALWAYS hit it right on the head... (yeah.. right!) and white balance if I thought ahead enough to include a gray card in the shot. THEN I go to Photoshop for the final tweaking. And believe me, I have to tweak a lot. I don't do every thing I shoot this way, only the ones I think are deserving for print or show you guys.
    Jarrell

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Richard,

It doesn't have to be that difficult. I can process a shot in NC and then in PS CS (for cropping, resizing, adding borders and sig) in less than 2 minutes. Sometimes I piddle around and it takes me 3 or 4 minutes, but I could do it in much less if I was in a real hurry.

After spending more $$ than I like to think about on cam gear, training, and travel costs to get to the subjects I like to shoot, I can't see compromising on the second most important part of the image creation process.

If you haven't already, check out this thread:

https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=7532

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  7. I'm with Frank, I have NC/PS down to a science but can understand your frustration. I do use some sizing and sharpening plug in's which helps speed things up a bit. Nothing wrong with JPEG fine if you are getting the results you want.

8. huskey8

huskey8

Feb 22, 2005
    You know what it was guys not the amount of steps involved but the actual physical time it took when switching between PS and NC Ive seen it take as much as 5 minutes to save and then open in PS. When you have a 100 RAW that adds up.

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Richard,

I don't do it that way for several reasons. I just save my modified image in NC as a 16-bit TIFF, then open it in PS CS. The save takes about 5 seconds, and the open takes 1 or 2 seconds. When I'm in the processing mode, I usually have both NC and PS open. When I finish in NC, I immediately go over to PS to do final processing. That way, if I over sharpened in NC (as indicated by a halo), and can fix it without interrupting my process too much.

In addition to the speed advantage, I also like the fact that I can process the converted RAW image several different ways (different crops, etc.) without going back through NC.

Give this a try. I think you will be a lot less frustrated.

10. I'm with AFS on this. I gave up on Nikon Capture - wasn't worth the trouble, slow throughput, or the additional $100 purchase. I use Photoshop CS with the ACR 2.4 plugin. Just open a NEF file from within PS CS, make a quick adjustment to the exposure, if needed, then click OK. In 15 seconds I'm into Photoshop making the usual adjustments, cropping, etc.

After I'm satisfied with the image, I convert to 8-bit mode, and save as a jpeg.

If I later decide I don't like what I've done, I can always go back to the original RAW file and start over. And having the RAW file has allowed me to save quite a few pictures when I didn't get the exposure right.

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I too use a processing workflow that does not involve Nikon Capture. Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) does a better job of holding highlights and is much (much!) faster. By selecting and culling in Bridge, you can process many images through ACR in one step. And that's really fast. The last event I shot at the end of May, produced one hundred fifty photos - all shot in Raw. Because the lighting was hideous (gymnasium/multi-purpose room, no spotlights, mercury vapor overheads with fluorescent), I would have been driven nuts trying to match the white balance in camera!

By batching I processed the whole caboodle to web sized jpegs and print sized jpegs, then burned a DVD in under four hours for all 150 shots. I had over 90% keepers. Had I been shooting jpeg, I doubt I would have kept 50%.

Hang in there Richard. Raw adds a bit more complexity, but the results in both image quality and time savings are eventually worth it.

12. Richard -

Here's a thought: configure your D2x to save in both formats, but only go to the NEF files for processing when you feel that the situation warrants. That way you can have the best of both worlds -- ease of processing (for the JPGs), and access to the NEF when you need to recover those extra pieces that it's especially good for (correcting WB, preserving highlights, changing exposure, etc).

You'll still need to deal with the storage requirements, but it sure is nice to have those NEFs when you need them. Kind of like a security blanket, in a way.

Just my 2¢...

13. huskey8

huskey8

Feb 22, 2005
    Thanks everyone if nothing else it's nice to know that others have had the same problem as me. A couple of things here have caused me to rethink this Frank I'm going to retry processing a couple of images using your suggestions and see how it goes. Chris and Pa someone else suggested the ACR to me I actually have a copy of that and will take a look at it tonight and see how I like it. David so good to hear from you my friend good suggestion now that I'm starting to get paid for some of my images it really does make sense to have that RAW file. Flew has been making noises about another Marriet Island get together in the fall any chance you might get down.

14. Richard I'd love to make it down for a shoot in the fall -- hopefully by then things will have settled down for me a bit.

Whether it's Merritt III or some other time, I will be back. I'm sure!

15. Richard,

I need to echo what Harrison and Chris and some others have said....namely, that the RAW workflow can become very fast and (dare I say it?) pleasurable if you decide to commit to the Bridge/ACR/CS2 approach. The WB encryption is indeed an irritant at present, but I fully expect that to get sorted out. In the meantime, I cull in Bridge, process to 16 bit PSD in ACR (it's easy to make manual WB adjustments), then do any necessary additional processing in CS2. Relatively painless, and worth the small additional time investment over JPEGs.

Best wishes,

David