hitech filters

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by slappomatt, Jun 25, 2007.

1. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    Does anyone have any experience with hitech resin filters? I would like to get a graduated nd, and the 2 cokin ones i have seem to have a brownish color cast to them.

2. I use them no problem.
    Ive got a box full, 30 or so.
    Mostly CCs but some effects.
    I like them because they are big.:wink:

3. J Mark

J Mark Guest

I have a set of soft and hard grad ND Hitech in 1, 2 and 3 stops. They work great and I haven't noticed any color cast. They fit nicely in an f64 filter wallet. I don't use a holder with them, but attach them to the front of any lens, hood or polarizer with a small piece of black gaffer tape as described in one of Tim Fitzharris' books.

4. My gradateds cover the 10.5 fisheye, I also tape them on.:wink:

5. What is gaffer tape?,,, and how do you keep it out of the FOV?

6. Gaffer tape is also known as duct tape, or 100mph tape.
    It normally comes in silver but can be obtained most colours in 2,3 or 4 inch widths.
    A gaffer is the cheif electrician in movie or tv productions.

7. J Mark

J Mark Guest

Gaffer tape is a bit different from Duct tape, which is found in hardware stores, in that it doesn't leave a residue when removed. It looks, feels and rips like duct tape, but is considerably more expensive and has more of a canvas-like surface. It costs around $15 to $20 per roll. You can find it at B&H or at many camera stores. One roll should last a lifetime...I took a small dowel rod, wapped up several yards of tape around it and threw it in the bottom of my bag. I use if for all types of things, from holding my GF lightsphere onto my flash to my filters.

I use the Hitech filters with my Sigma 12-24 as it has no front threads and I've been searching for a way to use grad NDs for several years. I use a small piece of tape about 2-3" long (and full width) and stick just a 1/8 inch on each side edge of the filter. I position it in front of the lens and then just lightly attach the tape to the hood or lens barrel. The one issue I've encountered is getting a glare on the back of the filter because of the scalloped hood, so I'm sure to use a hat to shield the lens from the sun, especially if its behind me. Check out Tim Fitzharris' book called Nature Photography. He describes how to do it in there...along with a number of other tips I've found helpful.

One other tip...the Hitech filters come in a flexible plastic case. I stick two pieces of gaffer tape on outside of the plastic case so that they are handy when I pick out a filter. It can be re-used numerous times. Just fold one edge over on itself about a 1/4" to have a tab to peel it off as its quite sticky.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.