Hiwassee River Valley and Spring Flowers

I made a return trip to the Hiwassee River gorge area Sunday ahead of a few days of predicted rainy weather and found a big improvement in blooming flowers in just two days. Here are some shots from my 200mm f4 and D850.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for looking.
Roy

Wow! What variety and colors! Well done, Roy! You are inspiring me to get out to the Smokeys!
You are not that far away and I will be checking out Tellico Plains area Wednesday or Thursday this week. If the activity has moved that far north, then I will be visiting Cades Cove the following week, if there are a day or two of sunny weather preceding the visit. My plan is to make a weekly trip into the GSMNP between now and May when I will be getting ready for the drive to Gardiner, MT.

From Rutledge it not more than a couple of hour drive to Townsend, right?

Beautiful photos, Roy. That 200/4 really shines. (But no flower IDs?)

I can't believe how far ahead your season is. I do know that the Hiwassee crosses I-75 about halfway between Knoxville and Chattanooga, so you are a good bit further south. All we have seen (yesterday and today, and at lower elevations) is a few trout lilies and hepatica.

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I have some daffodils in the yard that have bloomed and are fading so perhaps the north side of the Smokeys will be blooming very soon!

Beautiful!! Our ground is still mostly frozen. No flowers any time soon here. I'm jealous!! Is this in the Smokey Mountains? I want to visit there someday.
This not in the Park but I was just outside its southwest border, I should have been clearer about that. There is a great deal of area around the Park that is very similar terrain. Down south, I live northwest of Atlanta, winter snows this year was a 15 minute snow shower one day. :)
This is a big difference from where I grew up in SW Michigan!

Ah, yes. Brings back memories of living in Choo-choo, Cleveland, Athens. Working in Polk, McMinn, and Meigs counties. Those Trillium flowers are nice. They don't stay around long. Thanks for sharing.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom