Hiya peeps!

gho

Re: Thanks Greg, almost there

Steve S said:
OK, so we've established I'm going to use my SB800, bounced into the canopy (if possible). Now, A: do you set the SB to normal iTTL or iTTL-BL-FP, and B: do you use the plastic cap diffuser?
Yes, normal iTTL - the [BL] mode is for fill in such case the flash is a secondary light source. If using [BL] mode when the flash is the primary light source, your pics will be underexposed.

Wide angle flip-down adapter - yes, you want to get as much spread as possible. Light tends to be a lot more directional in water (or so it seems) - falloff is rather steep.

Diffusion dome - yes same as wide angle adapter - more spread, more diffuse light, less harsh results.

caveat - with all that diffracting, bouncing and diffusing, your sb800 will seem to have the power of a little pop-up flash. If you find the light insufficient, remove the modifiers one at a time, starting with the dome, then WA adapter. If there's still not enough power, try direct but use both the dome and WA adapter again, and so forth. It really depends on the situation.

Don't sweat it too much, its not all that difficult. You've got some excellent questions though.

Another bit of advice - try different things - experiment, something I didn't mention or pretend I didn't give you any advice, and then shoot with the tips, it will help you visuallize how everything interrelates.

And one last thing - be sure to post your results!

And of course, ask if you have more questions! I love answering questions!

gho

GeeJay said:
Welcome Gregory,

I've admired your posts on DPreview so am delighted to see you here.
Your pictures are beautiful and I look forward to more.

Best to you and welcome,
Gaye
Hi Gaye! Thanks, I'm always glad when you posted to my threads in DPR. Things are definately looking really good here. Glad to join you peeps!

Thanks again Greg, one more

I've got it all down so far, but I'm not sure about this suggestion of bouncing the SB into the light canopy. Not being at all familiar with the setup and layout of a big tank in general, will I need to lift it to be able to bounce the strobe into it? I don't think the owner would take too kindly to me messing around with the equipment. Now, all I have to do is wait for a nice sunny day to give this a try! Thanks again!

Also, I wanted to mention that there really is a wealth of photography basics info on your site http://www.ximinasphotography.com/lessons/index.html for the "less seasoned" photographer, and even the intermediate, more experienced one, like I think of myself as being, and I'm going to be passing it on to others. All the basics of photography are covered very thoroughly. There's a wealth of great info there, and I wanted to thank you for putting it together! And that list of equipment of yours, as well as that unbelievable digital darkroom is something else!

Hi Steve,
Thanks for posting Gregory's website address. I had no idea it was there and now am going to spend much time going through the whole thing. It's a wonderful place to learn and I look forward to it.

Thanks to you, Gregory!

Gaye

gho

Re: Thanks again Greg, one more

Steve S said:
but I'm not sure about this suggestion of bouncing the SB into the light canopy.
Most owner's don't have an issue with it. To be safe, I always ask first. If not, then you're pretty much limited to shooting with ambient lighting or maybe side lighting. One cool thing I would try is placing the strobe behind and maybe getting a silhouette - maybe also with enough ambient light in he image to bring out the details also. I have a tank where I have 3 sides open, I think I'll give it a shot myself - thanks for the idea.

Not being at all familiar with the setup and layout of a big tank in general, will I need to lift it to be able to bounce the strobe into it?
most canopies have hatches where you just lift up for easy access to the top of the tank - after all, you still need to feed the fish.

Now, all I have to do is wait for a nice sunny day to give this a try!
Personally, I'd shoot it at night - less reflections that way and better control of the light - but its your call.

Tanks again!
Happy to help!

Also, I wanted to mention...
Thanks - the lessons are kind of burried in there, but I wanted to keep the top level menu as concise as possible - after all my site is to promote my photography - most potential client's don't really care about the lessons, and most people looking for lessons, don't want to hire a professional.

I'm glad that you're passing on the link too. Feel free to give it out to anyone you feel may benefit. After all, I did write them for everyone's beneift - that's why it's free too.

And that list of equipment of yours, as well as that unbelievable digital darkroom is something else!
The lenses in the "Lenses" section aren't mine - they are from the Nikon website - I don't have a sample lense in each of the categories, so I couldn't photograph them.

In the "Background" page, I only list my bodies, not my lenses - I don't really have that many lenses:
18-70 1:3.5-4.5 ED
70-200 1:2.9 ED VR
80-200 1:2.8 ED
24-120 1:3.5-5.6 VR
60mm 1:2.8 macro
28-85 1:3.5-4.5 (w/macro switch)
50mm 1:1.8

Lots of overlap, but I use them all.
What I want to get:
85mm 1:1.4
50mm 1:1.4
105mm 1:2.8 macro

and a couple more SB800s

oh and of course the D2x :/

NP, GJ

You'll want to take a good look at the "Lessons: Photography" index. That seems to be where the most photography-specific pertinent stuff is.
GeeJay said:
Hi Steve,
Thanks for posting Gregory's website address. I had no idea it was there and now am going to spend much time going through the whole thing. It's a wonderful place to learn and I look forward to it.

Thanks to you, Gregory!

Gaye

gho

GeeJay said:
Hi Steve,

Thanks to you, Gregory!

Gaye
The lessons use "reef photography" as a subject matter, but it really pertains to all of photography (as I see it). But whenever I give out the link, it seems many people don't bother to look at the link - methinks its because of it's reefish nature that people think it doesn't really apply.

Hope you find it helpful, but with the skill level of the D1/D2 forum members, it's probably nothing new. It's really geared toward noobs and intermediate photographers.

Please let me know if you have any sugguestions to make it better. I'm always working on it. I've also got some photoshop lessons in the works.

gho

Oh, BTW, there's a little "www" button at the bottom of a poster's message that will link you to their website, if they have one (if not, there's no button).

gho

Thanks Paul! I'm working on a plan, where I don't process as many pics, but I'll turn a profit - assuming I can get a client ;)

Hey Gregory, I went to a restaurant, Kona Grill, and they had a HUGE fishtank there - so I immediately thougt of your photography. I wonder if such restaurants (big chain, probably would appreciate the value) would be interested in photos, either for display or archiving, of their aquaria?

gho

Hehe.... That's cool that you thought of me when you saw fish. Hmmm...

Hey you should offer to shoot it for them and see how it turns out! I've got lotsa tips for ya.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom