Ho hummers again

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Glacier, May 17, 2007.

1. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    I have been on a quest to try and make the best photos I can of the usual suspects in my yard. I am not satisfied with any of them yet but that's what keeps it interesting for me. I am going to continue this through the summer and see what I can come up with.

Female House Finch

[​IMG]

Female Rose-breasted Grosbeak

[​IMG]

Male Northern Cardinal (far from what I have envisioned but I liked the light and color in this one)

[​IMG]

I have always wanted a photo of a bird in this Japanese Maple tree. The cold weather we had in April really hurt this tree and the leaves look awful now. I used the leaves to frame this Sparrow as best I could and also used fill flash to lighten the shadows somewhat. There is a catchlight that isn't apparent in jpeg but it's there. Maybe next year the tree will be pretty again.

[​IMG]

2. Very nice presentation Andy

We need to get out to shoot again

3. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Very sharp captures

4. revdhd

revdhd

May 2, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Hi, Andy,

Beautiful captures. I know each of these birds. They have been coming to my feeders every day. And you have nailed them... except maybe the sparrow =-).

Even your cardinal is showing a little attitude... wonderful!

The lighting and backgrounds, contrast and highlights are very well done. They could hardly be sharper, and yet they show some real personality.

Thanks and God bless.
    Doug

5. Most excellent each of them.

Louie

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    All very pretty

7. A question if I may Andy. Are you using a script for the frames or a series in an action? Either way, it is nearly as stunning as your capability for excellent captures. Care to share the frame?

8. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    Beautiful!

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Andy,

I'm on the same quest as you WRT getting better BYB shots. I have some pretty decent ones, but still not what I want, and I have the same plans as you - keep at it until I learn how to frame, light, expose, and process them just right.

Excellent shots BTW. :smile:

10. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Thank you for the nice comment!

I will have to give Gail credit for the frame. The link is in her signature. www.atncentral.com There are tons of actions there. A frame like this is really simple to make but a lot of people at the link have already done the work for you.

11. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Very soon Gary. I have new equipment on the way.

Thanks!

Thanks Dianne!

Thank you Doug!

Thanks Louie!

Thank you Gale!

Thanks!

It's a never ending process but one I thoroughly enjoy.

12. Great links!

Thanks Andy and Gail for those actions. The one that has super impressed me is CSpringer's digital grey card.

13. Beautiful Andy. I would think the very best thing you can do for making it more pleasant for back yard birds is a water hole for them to bath and drink from and I believe adding the drip or running water is the real killer for them. Take a look at this web link, you’ll like it.
    Lou
    http://www.birdwatching.com/tips/birdbaths.html