Hockey @400mm ISO 3200

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Kurt, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Kurt

Kurt

May 30, 2006
    North Boston, NY
    [​IMG]

The size of the 400mm is going to take some getting used too.

2. Nice, Kurt.

I assume that this was with the D3. 400 would be really long on a DX sensor. Where were you positioned?

3. Joe, I was thinking the same thing when I saw 400mm and hockey. 300 is almost too much for youth hockey on a DX sensor.

4. Kurt

Kurt

May 30, 2006
    North Boston, NY
    This was from the penalty box, this is not the full shot there was some cropped away and I think the kids are near the blue line.

Oh yes, its the D3 I would not shoot ISO 3200 with any of my other bodies.

I guess it depends on what your looking to get, but for faces 400mm is not too much on full frame. I think 300 just right if your shooting from the penalty box, from behind the nets 70-200 works well but not too many rinks (at least in this area) you can get above the glass behind the net.

5. I shoot from the penalty box with my D300 and 300mm, and its just right most of the time, with the bantams and midgets it gets a little tight. I will easily shoot at ISO 3200+ for it. Unless I am lucky enough to be strobing the action, in which case I'll be around ISO 200.

6. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Wonderful color in this shot a little motion blur on left players skate so I'm assuming shutter speed was below 500 well done

7. Kurt

Kurt

May 30, 2006
    North Boston, NY
    I have never used the D300 Geoff, but the D2x is horrible above ISO 400 (ok, that is a bit of an exaggeration but would never go above 800 with it and print) and I rarely if ever use the D200 bought it as a back up body and it just sat in the bag.

I would agree, the DX crop and 300mm is a good fit for Hockey I used that and the D2x along with strobes.

May strobe the next game and shoot a bit lower ISO and a bit smaller aperture.

8. Kurt

Kurt

May 30, 2006
    North Boston, NY
    Thank you,

Shutter speed was 1/250, was using a monopod (dont think I could hand hold the 400 very long)

Manual mode, I guess the last time I had it in sports mode I had the EV adjusted to -1 for some reason and that is showing on the EXIF but I never looked at it before shooting... just went off 'normal' lighting in an arena to get the f/4 ISO 3200 1/250th formula.

9. Sports mode? Thats not on the Pro bodies. A little unclear on what you mean by Sports mode.

10. Kurt

Kurt

May 30, 2006
    North Boston, NY
    Well, my sports settings (menu D it was named before I renamed it) where I have the camera set up for sports...

11. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    Nice Kurt, what rink? I grew up in Lakeview, just up the road!

12. Kurt

Kurt

May 30, 2006
    North Boston, NY
    That was at Leisure in West Seneca (Stars AA vs Wings AAA pre season scrimmage) The triple A team came back from a 2 goal deficeit to win 3-2, teh winning goal coming in the final minute of the game.

It was a good one.