1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Hockey game

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Prettym1k3, May 18, 2011.

1. I like to go watch some buddies of mine play. So, after finally getting an MB-D10 and being able to plug away at 8fps, I slapped my 70-200 on my D700, cranked up the ISO to 3200, and went to town.

A little exposure push, fill light, and + in the blacks, and I came out with some good images I was reasonably happy with.

From shouldn't cycling for so long, I'm coming to find out that because I understand cycling, I know when to click. With hockey, I don't fully understand when those key moments are going to be. Plus the scratched glass and netting really get in the way sometimes. :tongue:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nice name on the last one :smile:, and you handled the exposure well. I'm not a fan of the tilted shot on so many of them, personally.

3. Normally, I'm not either. But shooting through what seemed to me to be an overly thick net, or insanely scratched boards, I had to do something to distract from the lack of sharpness and the slow-moving action. Only a few of these players were really fast and had moves. Plus, there are no portholes in the corners by the goal to shoot through, so it was either from the stands through glass/net, or through the glass on the floor level. And those angles don't make for amazing shots.

I've always felt like my hockey stuff was underexposed. :) 

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2011
  4. nextelbuddy

nextelbuddy

Jul 15, 2010
    atlanta
    I liked them a lot. I can't wait to sell the 80-200 to get the vrII!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.