Hold your breath and close your eyes

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Randy, Apr 15, 2007.

1. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    If we were having a contest for facial distortion, this capture might be the ultimate winner. Neat capture Randy.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That is a classic:>))
    Good one Randy

3. thx Frank
    they both look like they might be having a baby or a similiar exertion

4. thx Gale

5. Great capture

6. Randy,
    After looking at this shot I went to your site and checked out your work. As with all your other work, this shot is well exposed, and captures the action at a peak point. However, my two criticisms of this image are as follows;
    First, I think the cropping at the bottom could be better. I am disturbed by limbs being cut off at the joints (something I was taught not to do) and think if the feet had been showing, this image would have been improved.
    And second, as with so many of your images, the depth of field used is too great, resulting in background clutter that distracts from the subject.
    I suggest either going to larger apertures and use filters if you have to drag the shutter to maintain a bit of motion blur, or use the Devil's Plaything, Photoshop to post-process and clean up the backgrounds.
    Of course really high-speed lenses are a good solution as well, but robbing an armoured car to finance them may not be. :biggrin:

7. Way to go they sure look like they are giving it there all, no soccer yet for me thsi year but I am sure that will change soon

8. thx for taking the time to C&C, it is much appreciated !
    i don't think the bottom is a crop.
    the sides need a tighter crop for sure.
    aperture of f10 was way to stopped down but this was my 1st outing w/ the 70-300VR last month...
    filters will not help but a larger aperture will
    I have many 2.8 lenses but switch to the 70-300 around game 3 when i get tired...
    I shot 2k+ pics on a given Sat so I don't have the time for any fancy PP.
    My experience has shown that parents buy faces and action and very often their son/daughter is off to the side or in the background so shallow DOF-s is not good for sales.

9. thx

10. thx Mike...soccer is my fav sport to shoot

11. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nice Shot--He's going to Blow

12. thx Mark....his parents musta laffed when they saw the pic
    I don't remember them buying it tho :smile: