Holden Picture Session

So Holden is 9 weeks old now...he's changing everyday. My wife and I decided to try and get some more shots of him holding his head up. He makes many faces at us, but unfortunately none of them were a smile. I kind of blew the highlights a bit on these (we were outside trying to take advantage of the natural light) but I'm still learning how to get it all right. I think I need a black background. I'm going to do some more shots tonight inside with alternate light sources, so we'll see how they turn out.

1) Not quite looking at the camera
dsc_3091-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2) Hello, the camera is over here!
dsc_3144-XL.jpg

3) No, it's not lunch time!
dsc_3148-XL.jpg

4) He was a little taken aback after finding out it wasn't time to eat
dsc_3159-XL.jpg

5) Getting lower...
dsc_3094-XL.jpg

6) Finally, enough pictures, time to suck on my fingers/thumb!
dsc_3194-XL.jpg

Dave, amazing! Very funny and adorable looks. Capture everything, I was my parents first and they were a little picture happy while I was younger so I'm not short on baby pictures.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I love his expressions; they're priceless!!! And I think you tnink you did a great job with the lighting. Each one of these are wall hangers!

Dave your little boy is so cute. I have a five month old so I have been practicing a lot with these kinds of shots lately. Maybe instead of getting a black sheet for the background just use one of his blankets. I can't see what you had your camera set at, but I have been using a blanket in the background, with natural light, and setting my f stop at 1.8-2.8 based on the lens. It blurs the background good and so then it doesn't really matter what you have behind the baby. Here is an example...

5448346457_baae45a799_z.jpg

Good luck!

Dave your little boy is so cute. I have a five month old so I have been practicing a lot with these kinds of shots lately. Maybe instead of getting a black sheet for the background just use one of his blankets. I can't see what you had your camera set at, but I have been using a blanket in the background, with natural light, and setting my f stop at 1.8-2.8 based on the lens. It blurs the background good and so then it doesn't really matter what you have behind the baby. Here is an example...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4080/5448346457_baae45a799_z.jpg

Good luck!

Thanks for the comments Amber. I have been trying different things to use as a background to make Holden stand out a bit more. I think I'm going to have to move to more of a blanket (fleece maybe) than a sheet and something darker as white just isn't doing it for me as it just washes him (and my wife) out. I was shooting at f/5.6 because I wanted more DOF so that he would be completely in focus. I used to shoot mostly at f/2.8 to get more light in when I didn't have much light, but it seemed his ears or mouth or something were always OOF and I didn't care for that look all the time. I'll try it again though.

Here's another one I took last night while he was dressed up in his outfit. This was with artificial lights (no flash though). I'm trying different things.

dsc_3283-2-XL.jpg

Very cute, Dave!

I love #5 because he looks like an "old man baby". Sorry, that's the best way I can describe it, but he's so cute.

Latest threads

Top Bottom