HOLIDAY BAKING SEASON

Seems like summer just ended and now fall is here which is the start of Holiday Baking Season.
In the last year my wife's body has evolved to be lactose intolerant and has had to go gluten free as well.
These seem to be her bodily triggers.
She is also sensitive to butter which is dairy but clarified butter (Ghee) is fine.
Would appreciate any suggestions on non-dairy evaporated milk which is one of the key ingredients for her pumpkin pie.
Any other tips for holiday baking ideas are appreciated.

As someone who likes to bake, but one who has never had to do it with your restrictions, the best advice I can give you is to seek out recipes based on the ingredients you need to use. Substituting gluten free flour and lactose free dairy in existing recipes are recipes for disaster.

Baking is as much about chemistry as art, and different ingredients react differently. So unless you are interested in countless experiments, with many going into the bin, best to go with recipes that are tried and true using the ingredients you plan to use.

Best o' luck!

Substituting gluten free flour and lactose free dairy in existing recipes are recipes for disaster.
I don't know anything about lactose-free dairy products but I've substituted gluten-free flour many times in baked food with great success. As an example, just yesterday I made a batch of brownies using a Cook's Illustrated recipe but substituted gluten-free flour and the brownies are to die for.

I have similar dietary restrictions. Sometimes I do really well and other times find it so hard. I do better if I just try to admit that sweets are not good for me and just totally stay away. That’s hard to do and hard to admit, but it’s how I do the best. Probably not the advice you wanted to hear, but it’s what I’ve found that works best for me.

The gluten free and dairy products have come a long way in recent years.
When I was younger I never heard of so many individuals being allergic to nuts, dairy and gluten as I do today.
And I'm living proof of it with my wife's condition.
She has had many tests including colon screening.
Dr's believe it is an allergy to these products because they could not find anything else.
Some claim it has been caused by the use of GMO's (Genetically Modified Organisms) that have been introduced to our food chain.

Thank You so much Nick.
You are The man.
Exactly what I was looking for.
This site is so much more than a Nikon Camera Site.

I have similar dietary restrictions. Sometimes I do really well and other times find it so hard. I do better if I just try to admit that sweets are not good for me and just totally stay away. That’s hard to do and hard to admit, but it’s how I do the best. Probably not the advice you wanted to hear, but it’s what I’ve found that works best for me.
Thanks Terri,
She does limit her sweets to one day per week (her cheat Day).
It is just amazing how she has a bad day and we review her food input from the day before and BINGO! It's staring right at us. Just connect the dots.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Late to the game here, but as someone who enjoys a plant based lifestyle, I was going to suggest the Carnation brand lactose free evaporated milk, as well. For regular milk, I like drinking almond milk, which is also lactose free. If she uses eggs in her baking there are plenty of egg replacer’s on the market that she can use, one of which is Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer (you can find it in the baking aisle of the supermarket). In terms of whipped cream on the pie, if that’s done, a maaaarvelous topping can be made using aquafaba which is the liquid that is found in a can of chickpeas, believe it or not.

If you need any more suggestions, just let me know.

Late to the game here, but as someone who enjoys a plant based lifestyle, I was going to suggest the Carnation brand lactose free evaporated milk, as well. For regular milk, I like drinking almond milk, which is also lactose free. If she uses eggs in her baking there are plenty of egg replacer’s on the market that she can use, one of which is Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer (you can find it in the baking aisle of the supermarket). In terms of whipped cream on the pie, if that’s done, a maaaarvelous topping can be made using aquafaba which is the liquid that is found in a can of chickpeas, believe it or not.

If you need any more suggestions, just let me know.
I love these suggestions, Lyndee. I am on a similar restrictive type diet trying to avoid gluten, dairy, eggs, and sugar. I'm going to look for the Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer. Do you eat sugar?

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I love these suggestions, Lyndee. I am on a similar restrictive type diet trying to avoid gluten, dairy, eggs, and sugar. I'm going to look for the Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer. Do you eat sugar?
I do use sugar, Terri, but not much at all and only if I'm baking or cooking something. I'm finding that my taste for sweet stuff is diminishing by the day. I will use agave nectar if I have a cup of tea, but it's usually only a teaspoon.

Since I am not glucose intolerant, I don't restrict myself to gluten free products, although I do know there are many options on the market these days.

Honestly, the only thing I miss is a good, sharp cheddar cheese. I've tried vegan cheeses and I'm really not crazy about them. There are many recipes out there for making your own, however, but I just haven't had the time to experiment. Perhaps over the holidays...

This is all starting to come together thanks to everyone here.
Your efforts are truly appreciated.
Non-Dairy Condensed milk.
Who would have thought.
Just a mention on this, eggs are not considered dairy even though most people think they are.
Eggs are no problem for my wife.
I think the only thing I have left is to find gluten free pie crusts.
She usually the ready made Pillsbury pie crusts but they are not gluten free.
There are recipes on the internet for gluten free pie crusts but they must be made from scratch.
If anyone knows of any pre-made gluten free pie crusts otherwise I shift her to making them from scratch with gluten free flour.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom