Holiday Itinerary Finalised - NY/Vegas/Utah/Miami/Sarasota

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by antsplan, Jul 31, 2007.

1. All

Sometime ago I asked your advice on where to go on holiday in the US (I live in Scotland). After being compltely overwhlemed (in a positive way) by your suggestions, I finally made my decision and my itinerary.

The next question is based around any particular places to visit whilst there for good photo op's. In general this will be Landscape/Nature/people watching type shots, I'll be after.

Here is my itinerary and I know its a bit crazy - but what the hell, I'm only young once !!!!!!

Saturday 4th August - Glasgow to NY (4 days with friends) - I've shot most of what i'd be after already in NY so hopefully I'll be ok here.

NY to Las Vegas - (2 days) again I've a fairly good idea of what I'm after here, although sggestions are welcome.

LV to Utah (Zion NP/Bryce Canyon) (5 days) - this is where I really need help.

LV to Miami (4 days) - Help also required here (hoping to do a day trip or longer to the Everglades - where in Particular in ENP should I head for ?

Miami to Sarasota - (5 days) - I assume there will be a lot of nice sunsets to be had here - anything else in particular I should be looking out for.

Once again many thanks for any input you can give. :biggrin:

2. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Anthony, Zion has lots of trails and they all lead to beautiful vistas. They can be as short as 3/4 mile and very easy to navigate, or longer and more challenging. You will have lots to chose from. Bryce is much easier. Most of Bryce can be seen from view points that you can drive right up to. There are some good hikes available so you can make it as easy or as challenging as you like. With 5 days you will have enough time to see some of the other southern Utah sights if you are so inclined. Have a great trip!

3. Zion is a beautiful park and the vistas are really scenic. The hike up to angels landing is moderate for a good share of the way with it becoming difficult at the top. Their are chains to hold onto at the top with drop offs that are over 2000 ft down. If you are up to it the views from the top are out of this world. If you like narrow canyons and don't mind walking through the water, Zion's Narrows is spectacular. Weeping rock is very easy to walk to and scenic. The valley floor has many scenic spots to stop and look. The east canyon trail is very nice and not real difficult. Also, be sure to drive up through the tunnel and just as you get through it park in one of the turnouts. There is a short 1/2 mile trail that will take you to some very scenic overlooks.

I live just 45 minutes from Zion N.P. and so if you have questions let me know. I would be happy to meet you for lunch if I am available when you come. My mother came from Scottish ancestors.

4. Las Vegas: Plenty of opportunities. If you have a car a nice side trip (1 Hour away) is Valley of Fire State Park. Excellent for a morning shoot.

So. Utah. I'll second Zion and Bryce National Parks recommendations (Zion is a 3-1/2 hour drive from Las Vegas, Bryce is an extra 2 hours or so).

Miami: Plenty of opportunities. I'm local so if you want send me a PM and I'll give you my cell phone. I might even have time to go shooting with you.

South Beach - Art Deco district is a must (I've been posting a lot of that here).

Everglades: Only worth place to visit for photography is Anhinga Trail.
    I actually prefer to visit other sites that have more quantity and variety of birds, but a lot less alligators. Wakodahatchee Wetlands and Green Cay Wetlands. August is hot and humid so plan to go there only very early inthe morning and be done before 10 am.

You'll certainly have fun!

Alex

5. Hi Anthony,

I'm not sure if you are driving or flying from Miami to Sarasota. If you are driving, you could go via Interstate 75 and consider stoping at Corkscrew Swamp, Ding Darling National Wildlife Reserve (NWR), and/or the Venice Rookery on the way.
    OR You could go North via I-95 to Viera Wetlands and Merritt Island NWR and then head west to Sarasota.

We were at all of these places in February as part of the Merritt Island IV Shoot. I am concerned that these places will not be as active this time of year and many of the birds will have migrated north for the summer. Gale or HarryB live in the area and should be able to give you an update.

Here are some links to help:
    Corkscrew
    Ding Darling
    Venice Rookery

Viera Wetlands & nearby
    Merritt Island

One spot in Sarasota that you might want to visit is the Ringling Circus Museum and their estate (we were there in the 1980's so I can't remember a lot of the details).
    http://ringling.org/
    Ringling Museums

Have a great trip - you are covering a lot of ground,
    Bob & Nan

6. Anthony, email sent

7. Shark Valley is another area of the Everglades you night want to check out. There are a couple of short walking trails, and one long one (15 miles) that you can walk, bike, or take a tour tram. There is lots of info about Shark Valley on the web. Here is one unofficial web site: Shark Valley

8. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Man, you're starting off in three boring locations.

New York?

800398380_538adeda7b_b.

802517056_4a2fec9ad8_b.

801653471_0c1f01e37f_b.

Zion?

330408558_720e1a643a_b.

View attachment 108901

331223381_17cc1e4eb3_b.

Vegas?

965936499_84944763ea_b.

View attachment 108904

View attachment 108905

In Miami and Sarasota, look for some shots along the beach with the lifeguard towers, lighthouses, umbrellas, and other colorful items. I've noticed some folks do great shots under the bridges, particularly at dusk or night. You may also look for a Miami skyline shot. It depends upon what memories you want to capture.

9. Haze

Many thanks, I really can't wait for this leg of the trip. I'm hoping to doa little hiking but it will be diffiuclt to pack teh correct clothing/footwear as well as all the other forms of clothes I'll need.

I'd love to get to Petrified Forrest in Az but suspect it may just be outta my reach. Thanks for your advice. :biggrin:

10. Wow what an offer - I'd be delighted to buy you lunch. Many thanks for the detailed advice. Could you pm me a cell number and when I get settled we can see if its possible to hook up.

11. Alex again, your offer to go shoot together is a fantastic one. This is a superb community, i'm taken-a-back by the generosity. Whilst I'd love to meet and I'm certainly not ruling it out my wife (non-photographer, though I'm trying to get her interest up) may veto that, so I coudnt commit just now, but again if you could pm me a cell then perhpas, I could also buy you lunch before a quick shoot ?

I do have a car from Miami and was planning to drive via the I41 towards Everglades City - I think someone else recommended this a very nice drive. I'd base myself for a day night somehwre in this area to explore a little of ENP before driving to Sarasota the next day - does this sound ok. Please bare in mind that in the UK we have nothing even remotley close to ENP so I'm sure it will be breathtaking for us.

Also just out of interest - should I be worried about Alligators ?

12. Bob/Nan

I hadn't considered this at all - please see reply above, where I intend to drive I41 - do you believe your suggested routes to be better options ?

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

13. Jim

Got the mail - your a star :biggrin: I'll reply ASAP.

Thank you Sir.

14. Yes I think my planned route using I41 will take me near there. Thanks for the link, David

Regards

Anthony

15. William - WOW !!!!!

If I get one shot on my trip as good as any of those I'll be delighted :biggrin:

Thanks for the pointers.

16. All

Can I just add that if any of you or the wider community ever come to Scotland, I'll be happy to be your tour guide or indeed sort anything out that you need whilst here.

I'm humbled by your support.

17. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    When in Sarasota, go visit Siesta Key. One of the countries most beautiful beaches. Clearwater beach is also pretty nice. Just know this, Florida is full of old people and many drive slow (not called God's waiting room for nothing!). Plenty of traffic to consider. And the driving distance from Miami to Sarasota is longer than you think. Also a visit to the John & Mabel Ringling estate is nice. http://ringling.org/

Bad Hair Day on Sanibel. Humidity, the killer of any Coif.
    275005883_03e522d137.

In the Amphitheater at Bryce.
    859602142_588ef29d1f.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2007
  18. Hi Anthony,

I'm not sure what to suggest.
    We have not traveled US41 except near Marco Island on the west coast of Florida. There it is just a two-lane road, and nearly out of the everglades, but I think it is mostly two-lane. The interstates are four or more lanes and don't have many spots to pull off and shoot.

If you take the US route 41 through the everglades, you can then go north on State Route 951 near the west coast to Interstate 75 and continue north toward Sarasota, or you can continue on north on SR 951 if you want to stop at Corkscrew. Ding Darling is on Sanibel Island southwest of Ft. Myers.
    I'm just concerned that you would not have enough time to stop a while in the Everglades and also do Corkscrew and/or Ding Darling and continue on to Sarasota all in the same day.

Similarly, if you decide to shoot with Alex heading north from Miami, at somewhere like Wakodahatchee Wetlands and Green Cay Wetlands, then you are about 1/3 of the way to Viera Wetlands or 1/4 of the way to Merritt Island. Again, anything more than one of those stops would almost certainly need an overnight to get to Sarasota.

It looks like there is some activity at Viera https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=124460 you might want to ask others here. We are only in Florida in the winter.

Like I said earlier you are covering a lot of ground even before you get to Florida. We old folks would be too tired to pack so much in a day, especially day after day.

About gators and snakes... just be aware of where you are. Stay out of the high grass and don't wade in the water. Look before you step. Don't forget your water bottle, hat or bug spray.

It sounds like a great trip, have fun,
    Bob & Nan

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  19. idelsoni

idelsoni Guest

Re: NY/Vegas/Utah/Miami/Sarasota

Laurent Martres (photripusa.com) publishes a series of books called Photographing the Southwest. These books describe all the hot photo spots in the national parks, the best gear for each location and the best times for the pictures. I have the Arizona book and the Utah book and have found them quite helpful. I have heard that photographamerica.com publishes some very good newsletters but I don't have any experience with them.

Good luck,
    Ira Idelson