HOLLY AND STEVE

Holly is my granddaughter and just recently became engaged. They asked me to take a few photo's of them. Comment always welcome.

41548109.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

41548229.jpg

41548307.jpg

41548144.jpg

Gordon,
What a lovely couple. The 3rd picture is my favorite, although they are all nice. I am sure they will be please with all of them. Nice job.

Gordon the 3rd being best next 4.

The first two look like protraits of her with someone in the way. Perhaps if they were looking at each other from the side view might work better.

Tough stuff you are getting into. :>))

(next the wedding photog) EEEEKKK I would be horrified

Leigh said:
Gordon,
What a lovely couple. The 3rd picture is my favorite, although they are all nice. I am sure they will be please with all of them. Nice job.

Thanks Leigh, the couple also picked #3 as the one to use in their wedding announcement. I appreciate your comments.

Gale said:
Gordon the 3rd being best next 4.

The first two look like protraits of her with someone in the way. Perhaps if they were looking at each other from the side view might work better.

Tough stuff you are getting into. :>))

(next the wedding photog) EEEEKKK I would be horrified

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment Gale. I have a bunch of them looking at each other on my website; however, I took the first two for myself to highlight my granddaughter and he was basically a prop. Perhaps I should have explained that. Your right about the upcoming wedding it scares me to think about it. The only thing I have going for me is that Holly loves me.

Gordon

No 3 does it for me,the others look a bit "forced"to me
I told you before you have a beautiful family,be proud

Good job on these Gordon!

hans said:
Gordon

No 3 does it for me,the others look a bit "forced"to me
I told you before you have a beautiful family,be proud
I think I like #4 best, but 3's very good too. I've been copying images of pre wedding shots of couples I hope to try out on a shoot I may do of my sis's "neice in law" later this yr..
btw, she's a gorgeous girl with that dark hair and those great blue eyes! He's a lucky man!

greyflash said:
Holly is my granddaughter and just recently became engaged. They asked me to take a few photo's of them. Comment always welcome.

Gordon :

Another beautiful woman in your family (recalling the shots of Diana). Holly's quite the lovely young woman in her own right.

I guess I'd comment that the first two shots do indeed use her fiance as a "prop", much as you noted. Nothing wrong with that for the bride-to-be's family announcement, at least traditionally, but I'd not have had his back to the camera in Shot 1, nor had his head so inclined in Shot 2. The loss of eye contact with Steve in both shots detracts from them.

Shot 3 succeeds, aside from the beauty of your granddaughter with her handsome fiance, because the background is non-distracting.

Shot 4 has a shrub and a tree "growing" out of Holly's head, and a bench "flowing" out of Steve's ear. This could be fixed in PS, I suppose, or in shooting this you could have gone for a much shallower DOF and perhaps lost the foliage in the bokeh.

Objects intruding into the subject is a common problem in a "dense background" area. I've done this for years, starting with a thoroughly stunning date who I photographed with a flagpole sprouting from the crown of her head in my high-school years. I always have to consciously check the surrounding areas of my shots to avoid this. It's a struggle sometimes, because of the obvious background "clutter".

Of course, you could always follow Gil's fine example and get the 85mm f/1.4 for the wedding shots !!! :lol: Seriously, though, I've found that I can't count on simple DOF blur or good bokeh to make the difference, even if I use the defocus control on my 105mm f/2 DC lens to the maximum detent position.

There's a reason so many wedding photographers (and wedding announcement photogs) shoot in a small number of set locations or want to use the studio. Where our wildlife shots benefit by seeing the surroundings, portraiture sometimes needs more simplicity.

Congratulations to Holly and Steve, BTW.

John P.

P.S. A friend asked me to shoot photos of her with her Weimeraner dog for a Valentine's Day card a bit back. We shot them inside her rather smallish house because of less then good outdoors conditions. I struggled throughout the shooting to get her "separated" from the background, and I was never ultimately pleased with the results, although she liked them. But she wasn't terribly thrilled with my offhand remark about being better at other types of photography when I said, "If you were an elk, I could make you look beautiful !". Fortunately, she's a good friend...

Thanks everyone for taking the time to look and to comment. Holly is my oldest granddaughter and the first to get married. Images #1 and #2 were not taken for their announcement. The couple picked #3 but quite liked #4 as well. On #4 I did process the final image in PS CS darkening the background and putting a gausian blur so as to make it less discernable. It was then printed as an 8x10 and came out quite well.

I would dearly love to have the 85mm f1.4 lens as John P suggested but it is probably not in the cards for this year. Instead my wife bought new furniture and I just tried to put on a smiley face knowing that she was due after all the photo equipment I bought this year already. Fairness is only right.

greyflash said:
I would dearly love to have the 85mm f1.4 lens as John P suggested but it is probably not in the cards for this year. Instead my wife bought new furniture and I just tried to put on a smiley face knowing that she was due after all the photo equipment I bought this year already. Fairness is only right.

Gordon :

Well, you just have to come and visit me at some point. You can use any of my lenses as needed. Of course, since I've just decamped to west Texas again for work, that might make finding me a bit problematic... :lol:

But I'll freely concede that you're a wise man to be thinking about fairness with your spouse !

John P.

Gordon What a beautiful grand daughter you have there. I think the third pose is the killer shot very nicely done. I am sure they love it

C

celia bule

Your grand daughter has very beautiful eyes. My favorite pic is the second one. I also would like to have a grandfather taking pics of me :( . But... not all is lost: I have a father learning to work with digital. After all there is hope :)

She looks like a very strong character, at least that is what her eyes tell me. As some of the other posters propose, pics 3 and 4 are the best.

BTW - looking at your avatar, you cannot neglect the relationship :D , but I'm sure you're a proud grand-dad

Hi Mike, Celia and Harry. I appreciate your very kind comments and yes, I am the proud grandfather. I can't take any credit for the beauty but rather owe that to my wife.

Latest threads

Top Bottom