Holy Lotus

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
These are an exotic lily pad and have a very short bloom cycle. Only grow in perfect conditions. I traveled to Knotts Island to capture these over the weekend. Rain kept me from doing all that I wanted, as I was hoping to get some direct comparison shots between the 70-200 2.8 with the 500d close up lens vs the 200mm micro. I did not get a good comparison done on these so..... sorry flew, I will try again in west virginia later this week and post next week when I return.
26354289-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

26354282-L.jpg

26360671-L.jpg

26354298-L.jpg

I could have come away with some really nice stuff if the weather had not forced me to hurry.

This type of lily is my absolute favorite. I've only seen pics of them, never in person. You did a fine job with these, considering your weather troubles. You may not need it but wonder if you bumped the saturation up just a smidge what it would look like. Nicely done!

PGB

Dave,

This is such a nice set. I can't decide what I love the best. I think the simplicity of number one wins my vote.

Excellent!!!! Thanks for sharing

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
Lin, Kevin, and Patrick,

Thanks for the kind comments. Kevin, I agree it needs a little umphhh, just I am terriblle in pp. here is what I did after your suggestion.
26368193-L.jpg

tell me what you think

I think I'm your biggest fan, Dave! That lotus is something else. And I really like what you did per Kevin's suggestion...it really works.

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
Thank you Leigh! I love taking flower shots and will be in west virginia just to do that from wed thru sun coming. cant wait.
Again thanks to Lin, Kevin and Patrick for commenting also.

Dave, Dave, Dave, you let me down. :twisted:

Still, these are very nice shots. Which lens did you use of these?

Dave, now that blossom looks as good as any I've seen! Beautiful. Having said that, the greens might be a bit too much now. You can always create a mask layer and paint in/paint out the saturation. It's pretty easy to do and allows you to fine tune. Still learning myself....

I also like these flowers. I come across them very often on my trips to SE-Asia where they seem to grow in almost every pond that is not infected by Eichhornia (water hyazinth).

Very pleasant tonal range in your pics.

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
Frank, I know I let you down, sorry. I promise to do some side by side same subject testing in the mountains this weekend for you and all to see direct comparisons of the 70-200 w/ 500d and the 200mm micro. I will be primarily shooting wild flowers. both the rain and the fact that these were in water and as tall as me in some cases made it a bit challenging.
Kevin- I ran a print on hanamulle paper after bumping the saturation and it came out GREAT! the greens are blurred and make a very pleasing background at that level.
Gilles and Harry S- Thanks for taking a look and taking the time to comment. Harry is SE Asia the native home for these giant beauties?

Dave, congrats for a nice serie. The #1 (with pp) is a beauty. It could be made into a very nice chinese painting.

I also like the #3 but without the bud. Good composition on this one.

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
Much obliged Dao. You are right, if I take out the bud the #3 shot is much better. Thanks for having a look and commenting.

S

scanman

Nice lotus. Looks different from the lotus in Singapore properly due to the climate.
Great job!!

G

Gordon Large

Dave -

Beautiful images. #1 is stunning, especially the reworked version. I love the simplicity of that one.

Gordon Large

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
KC thanks for the comment. can you post a picture of one from singapore?
Gordan, thanks! It made a beautiful print. Sure do like your new avatar!

S

scanman

dmwphoto said:
KC thanks for the comment. can you post a picture of one from singapore?
Gordan, thanks! It made a beautiful print. Sure do like your new avatar!

Ok here to the link to the lotus I had taken few weeks ago.
Pls comment. I need to see where i can improve interm of color, contrast and WB.

https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=6303

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, how did I miss these!!??? Stunning, and I do love the oomph you've added - really shows off the delicate colours. Excellent captures.

Latest threads

Top Bottom