Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Codroy, Newfoundland

For my last night in Newfoundland, I reserved a room at a B&B about 30 minutes from Port aux Basques (the location of the ferry terminal for my trip back to Nova Scotia). I needed to be at Port aux Basques early the next morning.

I arrived at the B&B at about 6 pm after a long drive from St. Anthony. The drive was made longer by the rain and fog. I was tired when I walked into the B&B...and wanted to get settled in and find the nearest restaurant.

My host was very enthusiastic and started telling me about all of the things that I needed to see and do while in Codroy. I kept trying to explain that I probably had about two hours of light left in the day, and that I was tired, and that I had to leave early the next morning. But, she started telling me about how I should at least see the Holy Trinity Anglican Church.

My first question was "how far is that?" She said it was 7 miles away--but on two laners in the rain. I pointed out that it was unlikely that the church would still be open on a Wednesday night. So, she made a few calls and gave me an address to go to near the church to pick up the key!

Since she was going through so much effort, I felt somewhat compelled to at least see the church. I drove there and knocked on the door of the building in hope of getting the key to the church. The person who answered the door handed me a key--and said to just make sure I turn off the lights and lock up when I leave. When I returned to the building after my visit, nobody was there. So, I just left the key on the kitchen table and left. It sure was a trusting group of people that I was dealing with in Codroy!

I was surprised at the size of the church and the overall grounds. The cemetery is large and stretches all the way down to the Atlantic coast. Keep in mind that the village of Codroy has a population of about 50 people!

It continued to rain the entire time I was there, so I broke out my rain protection gear for my D850 and 14-24 lens...here's a picture of that sophisticated piece of equipment. I hold it over my tripod/camera/lens while triggering exposures by cable release:

p3071308380-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And now for a few images:

p3071308319-5.jpg

p3071308315-5.jpg

p3071308327-5.jpg

p3071308355-5.jpg

p3071308321-5.jpg

p3071308390-5.jpg

p3071308330-5.jpg

While this might not have been the most magnificent of the churches that I visited during my road trip, it was a very enjoyable experience. And, the church was celebrating its 100 year anniversary.

These were the last of my pictures from Newfoundland, but I would capture many more photographs on the drive home...including a few from Bangor, Maine...many from Albany...and a series of images from the spectacular basilica on the campus of Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana.

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

Attachments

• p3071308315-5.jpg
    p3071308315-5.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Lovely church and wonderful story!

I look forward to seeing your other photos, and can attest to the beauty of the basilica on the campus of Notre Dame. I've taken photos there and it's stunning.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom