Home made ring light

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by TeeSquare, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Made from 2 plastic bowls lined with foil tape... works pretty well. The light source is a single SB-800 through a hole in the side of the outer bowl. Total cost.... about $10:biggrin:
    6201079-lg.
    6196152-lg.
    6196252-lg.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2007
  2. I like it when people are creative enough to build their own. It looks like you did quite well with this rig.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Looks good to me:>))

4. Thank Gordon & Gale. I'll post a picture of it in a bit.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That is just to cool:>)))))
    Who give a ......what it looks like

6. Thanks Gale,

I'll post some more shots using this later. :smile:

7. pointa-b-c

pointa-b-c

Mar 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
    +1, your rig actually looks pretty good!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2007
  8. I built one too. But in your examples, it's obvious one flash isn't enough. The light comes from below creating a shadow up. A Ring light is supposed to be equal on all sides.
    This being said, add one flash on the top for best results!

9. I did notice that also,. I like the original idea just wonder how it might be improved,.

perhaps using bowls w/o the cutout bottom,. so one bowl inside the other (as currently) but with some gap between them so some light travels to the side of the bowl opposite the flash?

Sil

10. I like that idea, very Blue Peter'ish indeed :wink:.

11. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Pretty nifty, especially the first image. I'd like to try it with more light as discussed earlier, looking forward to updates here :) .