Home security suggestions.

I see this was discussed quite a while ago and technology has moved on so thought I'd open another discussion.
Since we were recently robbed I've been bumped back to reality about the need for better security - but there
are tons of options out there so I thought I'd ask those with experience what systems they would suggest.
I want to be able to see when anyone enters or leaves our driveway/steps [parallel to each other]. I want to be
able to trigger and turn off the siren from my phone. It would be nice to have a camera looking down the street
which is a dead end so cars can only access from one end. I've heard about systems that can recognize vehicle
registrations and send a notification when a strange vehicle arrives in the area.
Being able to connect an infrared beam for added reliability would be a bonus.
My thoughts are that cameras inside the house aren't a priority, I want to see people approaching the outside and be able to
set the siren early if they look suspicious - and of course be able to turn it off if I can't get home quickly.
I have a Qnap NAS system but they only have two camera licences, I would have to also do some research on what I can do with
the app that comes with it.
I'm not sure if 4K is necessary, preferably a camera with a zoom function - there has been a car with a dodgy looking character
in it just sitting watching houses noticed by a few different people lately. We saw someone drop off a youngster at the end of the
road a few months ago, he had an empty backpack, dark shades and a baseball cap pulled low over his eyes. When he saw my wife
watching him he just pretended to put something in the mailbox and then walked away. being able to watch what goes on out
on the street seems like more sense than cameras in the house which are only really any good for proving to insurance you were
robbed if it's just footage of the top of baseball caps. Of course if a kit came with 16 cameras some would go in the house as well.
What suggestions please?

Technology is great and has improved. However, a dog, or a couple of dogs tend to be strong deterrents too.
I would combine multiple systems as surveillance cameras may not be that dissuasive to kids covering their faces.
In some countries kids even caught are not prosecuted.
Suggestions would be, dogs, fences, internet cameras with infrared (however some can be hacked so you are potentially creating another problem), strong windows and old fashioned circuit breaker alarms, proper insurance...
In some countries it used to be that someone having been burgled once would see the likelihood of being burgled again increase.
Best of luck.

Technology is great and has improved. However, a dog, or a couple of dogs tend to be strong deterrents too.
We thought of that but it is also a considerable cost over the years - my wife has allergies so she wouldn't be able to touch them,
we're lucky that the toy poodle we got is non allergenic and doesn't affect her. Then there is the possibility that they a actually steal
the dogs to take them "up North" to use in dog fighting- or since they are watching and waiting when it happens they wait to
see you taking the dogs for a walk which is what happened to some friends of ours with large Rottweilers.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom