Home Sweet Home...not any more

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Robert, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
  2. Robert, I share the same feelings when I look at old abandoned houses. The lives lived, the loves shared, the lives lost ( a lot of children died of infant diseases in those days), the joys and sorrows each room holds. My house was built in 1864 era and when I think of the workers who built it and how they accomplished their trades. No Makita cordless drills, no trouble lights. Went home by horse drawn streetcar.

All of the above houses look like they were built in the late 1800's judging by the styles. Generations of families.... shame to see them eventually torn down for a house with a two door garage glued to the front, row on row of them. You've captured the mood very well, especially in that last frame.

3. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    Sandi,

I see homes everywhere I travel that have been abandoned, most often due to a recent real estate transaction I suppose, to make room for, as you say, a new subdivision. The history vanishes but more important is the farmland that is claimed and paved over. I don't remember the statistics, but it's sobering to hear how much land is lost each day in Canada.

My favourite shots are of the homes that have been totally let go, to slowly disintigrate into the sands of time. Many of the houses I find near Toronto are boarded up for safety and security reasons. I'm always most taken with those that wear their weathering yet still perhaps, show some grandure.

large.

Thanks Sandi, for your comments!!:smile:

4. Hi Robert,

You really capture the grandeur and mystique in each image; especially the fourth one.

5. Trailfinder

Trailfinder Guest

WoW - Powerful images

Living in Oklahoma, you'd think we'd have LOTS of abandon farm houses etc...Probably we do, I just need to keep my eyes open, there's lots of open land around, so I am sure there's lots of photographic opportunity there...

You captured these beautiful places well - They tell a story in the way they sit now - You wonder alot, I am sure about all the goings on inside those door ways....Great job...

Brad G...
    OKC/OKLA

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    They are all wonderful Robert.
    Hurts to see the grand old homes abandoned.

7. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    Hi Crystal,

Thanks for your compliment!!! The last house is still standing...the locals refer to it as the "rat house". It would have ben salvageable at one time, but probably not any more. I guess there will be a strip-mall on the property soon.

=========================================================

Brad,

I hope you are able to find some interesting derelicts to shoot. Be careful if you're wandering on some rural abandoned land...deep hidden wells, broken glass, jagged metal... whatch your step!
    Thanks very much for your compliments...appreciated!!! :smile:

========================================================

Yes Gale, there's a certain sadness in the air it seems with some of the sites I've shot. Thanks for your comment!!!

8. Love the mood in that last one. Kind of a sad one though...

9. Agreed! The last one, with the trees guarding it looks so sinister.

Rich

10. Sharon

Sharon

Feb 18, 2006
    These are beautiful, moody images! I really like the 3rd and 4th one.

11. DoorMan

DoorMan Guest

The fourth one is outstanding. The dark sky works well in this one. I like all of them. This is one of my favorite subjects.

12. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    I expect to see Herman Munster step out of the front porch of the last one, sweet! Technically, the composition is outstanding on it with the trees arching over the roof of house from angle shot. Just a very nice angle on it. It would have been nice to see a bit more of the front, but then it might compromise the mood, the tree arch.

13. krispee

krispee

Apr 10, 2007
    UK
    very evocative images, love the mood captured and the beautifully earthy colours....the last is my fav....

kris

14. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    Vern,

Yes Vern, I feel some sadness at times when I see these old homesteads left to ruin. But everything is in a constant state of flux...constant renewal, including I hope, peoples lives. Thanks for your compliment!!:smile:
    ======================================================
    Rich,

Thanks for your comments...appreciated!!:smile:

Sharon,

I am pleased with the rusty tones of the third and I'm glad the roof wasn't red or blue, but rather a tonal match for the grass etc.
    Thank you for your compliments!!:biggrin:

Herb,

I'm very happy to know you like these shots! Thank you!!!:biggrin:

=======================================================

Doug,

I very much appreciate your compliments/comments!! I really am unable to include much more of the front of the property...I was only a few feet from a fence behind me as I shot this, and I didn't want to go any wider because I think the remains of this house would be lost in the surroundings.
    Thanks Doug....appreciated!!!!:smile:

Kris,

Thanks very much for commenting. I'm always drawn to these lonely locations...they are evocative for me too! :smile:

15. The last one is scary!! Looks like it came out of a horror movie.

16. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    Thanks Johnny!! It would make for an interesting set, but a dangerous one.:eek: