Home-to-first pick-off attempt

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Harry Lavo, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Here's a "grab shot" that worked out well. I was walking from the position behind first base to a shooting spot behind home plate when the catcher started a pickoff throw to first. I whirled and shot...and caught a nice angle. First pic is not as sharp as I would have hoped, but the wonders of pp helped; the second is okay. As you can see, the throw was a bit too late.

1/500, f2.8, 200mm, iso800
    large.

1/500, f2.8, 200mm, iso800
    large.

2. Nice action capture Harry. You're right, appears focus was the cut of grass in front on shot#1. Much better on #2 :smile:

Thanks for sharing.

3. And thank you for looking and commenting.

This was a shot that developed as I was transitioning locations...so I had to do a quick "grab shot". I am using a Nikon 70-200 2.8 ED with a Nikon 50, so the lens, while fast for its type, is not of HSM speed, particularly on this camera (I am told the D200 is faster, although I don't have first hand experience to confirm). I suspect that in the first shot the lens was still focusing as I brought the camera into play...no other reason for it to be forward focused. I included the shot simply because it sets up the second one...would have been a great shot in and of itself if in focus. I'm glad you appreciate the sequence.

4. That was one of the reasons I upgraded from a D80 => D200, the faster focusing speed. While I have a 70-200f2.8, for indoors (basketball) I have two older lenses that are screw driven. Couldn't afford a D2x level...

5. After telling my kids that the new lens was probably my last big photo purchase, I'm probably now going to have to recant.:frown:

But not this year, budget won't allow.:Crunk:

6. The best lesson I have learned from the members of this board does not involve software, camera bodies or lenses, rather know your subject(sport) and anticipate the shot (previsualize). With understanding and practice it works like a charm. My daughter will be touring Mount Holyoke this summer, wish us luck.

7. Absolutely, Brooks. And I agree with them. Thats why there are so many swinging at the ball and sliding into base shots and shots of pitchers in baseball...combination of strategy and position almost assures some good shots. I shoot my share of these like everybody else.

But for me the real quest is to try to capture the unexpected action and convey it in one (or sometimes more than one) photo. And to do it in less than optimal lighting conditions. That puts a premium on fast equipment and in that race I am slightly handicapped. Not complaining, mind you...I love my new 80-200 two-touch lens. It's just that I know a D200 would bring out the best in it by giving me faster lens focusing speed and more fps.

My niece graduated from Mt. Holyoke a few years ago and then went on to get her masters at nearby Smith. Mt. Holyoke has, I believe, one of the prettiest campuses in the country...and the folks I have met who work or teach there are really nice folk..a good place to look. Let us know how the trip works out.

Thanks for looking and for your comments.