Homecoming

Discussion in 'People' started by Electromen, Oct 8, 2005.

1. I took these of my friend's daughter, she was in the Homecoming court for high school. The room was very dark, only two table lamps. Probably should have had her move away from the window, but I only had ten minutes and didn't have time to move furniture and it was raining outside.

D70, 17-55 DX, A priority, spot metereing, 1/60 sec, f/2.8, with
    SB-800 set to master on flash bracket and Lightsphere II, two SB-800's set to remote and off to each side bouncing off ceiling.

Let me know what you think.

24110Audra-close-up-for-web.

24110full-gownAudra-for-web.

2. She is a pretty young lady and I would guess that is was fun to photograph her. You have nice even lighting with your three flash setup and the Lightsphere II has done it's job. The background is not the best but then you know that. The one thing that is most distracting is the lamp and the image would have been better had you moved it. Color, focus and exposure are all good. When you get a nice overcast day like that I would try positioning her by the window and use natural light for a head and shoulders shot. I had to kick the ISO up to 800 on the ones I recently did but the results were excellent. Another trick for head and shoulder shots is to move the subject into the center of the room and then throw the background out of focus with a wide open lens.

I think both shots are quite good and I bet she will be happy to have them.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2005
  3. Thanks Gordon, I did this as a favor for my friend (old Fraternity brother)
    I'm still learning, but this was good experience. One thing I learned- don't rely on the mothers idea of where the photo should be taken, show up early and decide for yourself.
    Greg

4. They Both look good and she has nice tracts of land (for you Monty Python fans out there)

5. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    greg,

Very nice shots of a beautiful girl. In the full length shot, what color is the wall? I think you may have a little color casting going on here from light bouncing around.

Dan

6. That's what I thought, but wasn't sure how to fix it. The walls are a very light blue, almost white. Ceiling was white.

I just now used Cature on the origiinal NEF and set WB to flash. It fixed the problem

Thanks for noticing and commenting.

Sorry forgot data
    D70 17-55 DX @30mm ISO 400, 1/60 sec, f/2.8, A priority, Spot metering, WB preset, Flash modei-TTL

7. Here is the fixed image, all I did was adjust WB to flash using Capture.

Question: When using the Expodisc to preset WB, should I preset it again as I zoom in or out? I know I should reset it if I change f/stop or lighting.

Thanks Greg

24110Audra-full-gown-fix-WB-for-.