1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Homeless in Seattle

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by WCBike, Aug 22, 2008.

1. WCBike

WCBike

May 16, 2008
    Millsboro, DE
    I just purchased Lucis Art and trying it out. Appreciate any comments.

2786460101_5362ab277c_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Looks good ...what settings are you using?

Best,

3. WCBike

WCBike

May 16, 2008
    Millsboro, DE
    Hi Bob, I was hoping you would see this and reply. Your work on the car pics motivated me to spend the money and give it a try. I'm on a business trip in Seattle. All the other tourists are photographing the Space needle and I'm taking pictures of the homeless. Maybe I need to sit down and think about that.

I didn't write anything down, but my recollection is I went with the exposure filter and Wyeth at about 50%. Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

Bill

4. that is very cool
    i can't wait to see your next one

5. Bill,

I shoot a lot of photos of the homeless .............. much more compiling and interesting than the Space Needle. (in my opinion) I think your settings are fine ..... you might want to try the "sculpture" setting .... although, I'm not sure there is much difference between it and the Wyeth setting. Looking forward to more from you ........

Regards,

6. WCBike

WCBike

May 16, 2008
    Millsboro, DE
    Bob, thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try. I'm from New Jersey and i'm in New York City several times a month. I'm shocked at the homeless here. Either NYC does a better job of hiding them, or, Seattle has many more per capita.

Bill

7. Hey Bill, I like it.
    Do me a favor; After trying the 'sculpture" setting as suggested by Bob please post the image so we all can see the difference.
    I am fasinated with the Lucus Art effect and its purchase is very tempting.

8. Northwood

Northwood

Mar 26, 2008
    Oregon
    Nice work! I really like this shot, not sure why yet...maybe its something artsy about the despondent older couple staring at that single seagull in the circle of pigeons. I might crop out the gentleman to the right and see how it looks.

9. WCBike

WCBike

May 16, 2008
    Millsboro, DE
    I gave into the temptation and spent the $169 before the newer and even more expensive version came out. Let me warn you Use of Lucis Art is habit forming.

10. WCBike

WCBike

May 16, 2008
    Millsboro, DE
    Never considered that. I felt the "gentleman" on the right was more interesting. I'll have to try it. Thanks for the input.

11. WCBike

WCBike

May 16, 2008
    Millsboro, DE
    Homeless in Seattle 2

2788134274_1e74774513_b.jpg

12. WCBike

WCBike

May 16, 2008
    Millsboro, DE
    Homeless in Seattle 3

2787267381_75141c6952_b.jpg

13. WCBike

WCBike

May 16, 2008
    Millsboro, DE
    Homeless in Seattle 4

2787258745_f82a3f9bab_b.jpg

14. Bill, these are excellent ... especially #2. Great work.

Regards,

15. WCBike

WCBike

May 16, 2008
    Millsboro, DE
    Bob, thanks a lot. I'm still feeling my way around. I find this whole series pretty disturbing, but I can't stop looking at them.

Are you affiliated in some way with the Rat Rod Art website? I showed that website to a coworker and I think she is going to order something.

Bill

16. Bill, yes Rat Rod Studios is mine ..... just getting started, so it would be nice to get an actual job from it. I'm also in discussion with a photographer who does car shows about collaborating with him. .... we'll see how it goes. Looking forward to more Lucis work from you ......

Regards,

17. WCBike

WCBike

May 16, 2008
    Millsboro, DE
    Bob, that's interesting. I was so impressed with the site I showed it to our artist at work. We both thought the concept was very smart and I figured the website was making hundreds of thousands of dollars. Good luck with it.

Bill

18. WCBike

WCBike

May 16, 2008
    Millsboro, DE
    Homeless in Seattle 5

2789750136_38815f6d82_b.jpg

19. WCBike

WCBike

May 16, 2008
    Millsboro, DE
    Homeless in Seattle 6

2791969527_e00cf8e91d_b.jpg

20. If you don't mind- a few questions. Do you interact with your subjects at all? Do you talk to them before or after you shoot their photo? What lens are you using? Is it a long tele or a semi-to-wide angle, so you can get closer to your subject? I ask these simple questions because it appears, from the photos, that you are out there just firing away with little regard to the people you are shooting. I am sure that many of your victims are thrilled at being the subject of your new art technique.

In the very first shot you posted, the gentleman on the left is looking at you with an expression that screams, "Oh look, another jerk with a camera."

I do a lot of street shooting, and you know what, after 30 years, I can count on one hand the number of shots I have of the homeless. You know why? Because they are a group of people who are easily exploited. The shots I do have, I took because I really, really thought that the image represented their plight and I was really trying to help, in my own meager way. Also, the shots I do have, I talked to the folks, I engaged them in a conversation, and I always tried to give them money- in short, I did whatever I could to help.

I volunteer once a month at a local shelter in Dallas. I have been tempted many times to do a project on the homeless- not because I thought they would make for interesting or unusual pictures- but because I thought the project may help to show the general public the problems that the homeless and less fortunate in our country face on a daily basis. I may still do the project one day.

You have some really good shots there. I hope I have not offended you. It is a subject that is near and dear to me. Trust me, there are so many people in this wonderful, rich land we live in, who are just one small mistake, one small wrong step,one small catastrophe away from being homeless. It is a national disgrace and a blight on our society.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.