Homeless In Venice Sketch

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by 57corvette, Jul 19, 2007.

1. This is a third photo in a series of homeless people I saw at Venice Beach in California. This photo is combined with several others including one of my favorite back drops .... the Strand. I used a sketch action as well as a little PWL ...... although those actions really don't run well on PS 7. I hope to get better results with actions when I upgrade to CS3. Comments are welcome ......

2. Normally I like the things that you do but I feel this is just too busy with too much competing for your attention. The background seems kind of "in your face" bright.
  3. Gordon,

Thank you for your input ....... I had tried 6 or 7 backgrounds before deciding on this one. I wasn't sure if it was inappropriate, too bright or just wrong ....... so I appreciate your feedback. I will consider another background for this one.
  4. Another version ..........

5. I don't think the background in the first is too bright, just doesn't fit the image. I like the treatment of the homeless guy, but don't care for either of the backgrounds. Kind of a sad and moving picture with fun backgrounds. They just don't seem to match the tone of the photo.
  6. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I like your work very much.
    I like both images
  7. I like the first image, and as I'm not one who usually "gets" anything artistically themed, I see it as the contrast between "Americana" (Strand, theaters in general, public with disposable cash) and America (which includes a vast population of homeless people).
  8. Of the two, I like #1 best....nice work :smile::smile::smile:
  9. Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    second one for sure but both are well done for the effect you were after
  10. Bob, I like both of these, but I think the first tells more of a story.

aka beaucamera
  11. Anthony, Gale, Gretchen, Mike, Lowolf, Virginia,

Thank you all for your input .............hard to know sometimes what works and what doesn't ...........given art is such a personal thing. My wife thought the first photo was too busy, although I liked it best. I think I need to just create the art that pleases me and hope that others like it as well. I appreciate the input from everyone because it helps me see my work from different perspectives and I think that will help me grow.