Homestead

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by greyflash, Apr 13, 2007.

1. This Jacob Hamblin homestead was built in the mid 1800's. Jacob was one of the first pioneers to settle in the St. George, Utah area and he and his wife raised several children in this house. The homestead overlooked what was later called the Santa Clara River. This area was populated by many people of Scandinavian descent. All images taken with my D2H, 17-55mm lens and in some cases an SB800 flash with GF diffuser.

Wagon and Home:

original.

Main bedroom:

original.

Bed Frame:

original.

Weaving:

original.

Carding Wool:

original.

Child's Spinning Wheel:

original.

Mantle Clock:

original.

Children's Bedroom (note slanted roof line, an adult would have a hard time getting to the bed):

original.

View From Front Porch:

original.

Old Wheel:

original.

2. Very nice series Gordon. You nailed the exposure on all. I like these even better than the IR series you posted the other day. Thanks for posting them.

3. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    What a cool place. It's a bit better life than most of our homesteads here in the Smokies, hehe.

Nicely done Gordon.

4. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Nice looking set Gordon

5. Thanks Brian, I have lived her for 11 years and just now got around to photographing the intererior of that house.

Well, Jacob was a community leader and church leader so he had a little better house than I am sure some others had in this area. Thanks for your comments Dave.

Thanks Todd, it is nice to hear from you. I hope things are going well for you and your family in Idaho. At least you have made it throgh another winter.

6. Absolutely a great series. I am fascinated by all of the history there.
    Dave

7. Great series, Gordon. Interesting to see how the settlers lived - not an easy life getting there, not an easy life settling there. Not for the feint of heart. Your images convey this very well.... Thanks for the history lesson.

8. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Excellent series of images. Life must have been so boring back then :) 

Regards

RFC

9. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

10. Trailfinder

Trailfinder Guest

That is a truly great series of photographs....Looks like that home was extremely well buit - very solid.....I think the folks that lived during that time had plenty to keep them busy.....Great job...

Brad G...
    OKC/OKLA

11. Thanks Dave and fortunately I got to share this shoot with a fellow Cafe member Brian (sypher) and it was fun.

Can you imagine living in St. George without air conditioning? Just about the whole summer is near 100 and sometimes as high as 116 degrees F. Thanks for you nice comments.

The indians kept it interesting and Jacob also built a fort very near to his house. Thank you for your comments.

Thanks Paul, they are not up to today's standards but not bad for the era.

Hi Brad, thank you for your nice comments, I really appreciate it.

12. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    Gordon,
    I really like the way the kids room turned out, especially condsidering what you had to deal with. I also like the crop on the wagon wheel.
    I finally had some time tonight to go through and post some of my pictures from the other evening. While I was working on the pictures I was talking to my wife, Stephanie, and come to find out Jacob Hamblin is her great-great-great-grandfather on her dads side!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  13. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Gordon, I love all of these. I sure hope to get to St. George again one of these days. If I do, I hope you will show me around.

I think I have been to these houses before and also the Brigham Young winter home. I think it is so fascinating to see how the pioneers lived. Of course, some of them were my ancestors so it makes it even better.

I love the exposure you got on all of these. The child's bedroom is my favorite. Love the colors of the wood and the quilts.

I also love the one of the balls of yarn on the table. Aren't you glad we don't have to work so hard!

14. Thanks a lot Brian, your help on many of the pictures made the difference. I am glad you got in touch with me during your trip here to St. George as I had been meaning to do the Hamblin house for some time. That is cool about your wife being in the direct descendent line from Jacob Hamblin.

Terri I appreciate your comments. It would always be a pleasure to welcome you to St. George and to spend some time showing you around. I too liked the liked the baskets of yarn and raw wool. I certainly am glad that we don't have to work quite as hard as they did in that era but most of all I am happy to have airconditioning. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.