Honeybee on Autumn Sedum [UPDATED with Self-critique !!]

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by annedi, Nov 22, 2005.

1. [ORIGINAL] Bee is fairly sharp; colours & bokeh are nice. But I'm not sure my 5:4 ratio crop works here because the lower part of the flowers is OOF. This was taken with the Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro EX DG on tripod.
    [EDIT #1] I should have titled this "Preppie Bee" because of all the pink and green - LOL.
    [EDIT #2] I've tacked on my thinking about this photo in the form of a composite of thumbnails from my cropping exercise. OBVIOUS CONCLUSION: Next time GET CLOSER to the bee Annie. You have wasted too many pixels !! You need to BREAK your bad habit of dialing 911 for the Photoshop Ambulance. :biggrin:

Thank you for the comments, Mike, Baywing and Kevin !!! 'Preciate 'em.

1/500s f8.0 ISO250
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the resizing artifacts in this composite.....
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2005
  2. Very Nice...:smile: ..really like the background in this one

3. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    As you mention the cropping, consider a vertical, with most of the right removed. Take a touch off the left, a little off the top, and bring the bottom up until it looks right. You can keep the 4 to 5 ratio I think and make it work. Not sure to what size the crop will work, you might have to get aggressive with the sharpening......
    The exposure and colors are spot-on, nice shot.

4. I think the crop is fine the way it is. Makes for an interesting shot! The oof foreground makes my eyes wander up to the sharp bee, which is the intended center of interest. I really like the colors of the background too! Nice!!

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Andrea :

I think the 5:4 crop is the most successful from a compositional perspective, having the best leading lines as well as falling out of the "bullseye" approach from the original. For future reference on this, when a shot like this arises, consider changing the focus reticule to one on the side instead of the centre. As well, are you using the shutter as the focus button ? Consider switching the focus function over to the focus lock - it's made a huge difference for many people in focusing and recomposing without having the image refocus on shutter actuation.

I also think that some careful work with curves and perhaps a touch of specific sharpening on the bee while leaving the flowers less focused would work well. This is right on the edge of being really quite fine, and will reach it with some minor efforts.

How're you faring with all the rain in Jersey ? My wife's out there with family and told me about the constant downpour.

John P.

P.S. Consider using the little C&C icon with your post - it will draw in more people to give C&C for your shot.

6. Thanks John for your comments and good suggestions ! I'm going to rework
    the bee as per your suggestions and see if I can polish him up.

>> As well, are you using the shutter as the focus button ? Consider
    >>switching the focus function over to the focus lock - it's made a huge
    >>difference for many people in focusing and recomposing without having
    >>the image refocus on shutter actuation.

When I shot this back in September, I had not yet switched focusing from the shutter over to the AF-ON button. I had tried out AF-ON button early on and AF-C early on, but had never quite realized that using both together was a killer combo. About 5 weeks ago I started using them both (AF-ON + AF-C/ReleasePriority). It really was not all that hard to get used to handling the D2X this way because it makes so much SENSE after you've shot this way for a few days. And I do think I am getting more "keepers" because of it,but that nice firmware update helped a bit also !!

>> ....changing the focus reticule to one on the side instead of the centre
    Yep, I oughta get off that center f.r. I think I'm stuck there, LOL.

>>How're you faring with all the rain in Jersey ?
    We are all sloshing around -- thankfully it is rain, not snow !!

7. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Andrea :

Yah, Ron Reznick had me reset it the first course I took with him, but I just couldn't get my fingers and brain to work with it. The second time around, Sensei Ron was a bit more stern about my working with this, and I eventually taught my fingers to work with the concept.

As for the centre reticule, that's a perennial thing for me to grapple with. You're not alone in this.

John P.

8. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Nice, OOF of the foreground is fine since the bee is the main focus