Honeymooning in Mauritius

Well I got married by the end of August and our honeymoon went to Mauritius. The main focus of our holiday was relaxing at the pool. Enjoying the food and drinks. Did I mention the local rum is excellent? We only left the hotel for 2 days in total. Enough to take some pictures and write something about it.

8NR_2852.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The first day we went out the weather was really bad. Dark grey clouds. Not the kind of weather you want to carry your camera. This picture is one of the craters of the island. I don't find this picture very thrilling, but you need start your story somewhere ...

8NR_2879.jpg

This is the kind of weather I'm talking about. At the left you will find a statue of Shiva. In the background the holy bassin. Once a year all the Indian devotees of the island travel on foot to this place for their offerings. Fun fact: nobody knows how deep the lake actually is.

8NR_2892.jpg

The hotel arranged a driver. I think 95% of all the cars on the island are of an Asian brand, but this friendly driver came to pick us up in his Audi A4. The man was a freelancer, whose dream was to drive a German car. He imported the car from the UK and really loved it. One disadvantage of German cars in Mauritius. If you are in need of car parts, you need to wait approximately 3 to 6 months before they arrive. Perhaps not the wisest decision if your car is the main tool of your profession. :)

8NR_2925.jpg

8NR_2943.jpg

Lots of colourful birds in Mauritius. First picture are 2 Red Whiskered Bulbuls. Second picture is a Red Fody. At least I think it is ...

On our way to the view behind the forest, we also saw a green parrot in the wild. To bad I left my 80-400 in the car, and I only had my 24-70 with me.

8NR_2968-Edit.jpg

It was very cloudy, bad light ... I think all my pictures of this view were ready for the bin. Fortunate Silver Effex Pro could help me on this one.

8NR_3041.jpg

Next stop Chamarel. At first we visited La Rhumerie de Chamarel. One of the 2 places on Mauritius were they produce rum. We were offered a guided tour with a degustation at the end. We tasted 9 different rums. Needless to say, it was very hard to take sharp pictures after that. I was very happy to have my tripod with me. ;)

We visited the Chamarel Falls. The highest on the island. The number one tourist attraction.

8NR_3077-Edit.jpg

Close to the falls you will find Seven Coloured Earth. The colours in real were nowhere as on this picture to be honest. The driver told us we had bad luck with the weather. The camera seemed to captured them, and boosting the saturation in Lightroom did the trick.

8NR_3138-Edit.jpg

The sun was going down and I asked the driver if he knew a rocky beach so I could take pictures of the sunset.

8NR_3171.jpg

I forgot my ND filters in the car, tho I managed to pull this one of with one image. I'm still in love with the dynamic range of my D800. :)

This concludes our first day.

8NR_3243.jpg

For our second day we booked a catamaran boat trip. We went snorkelling, had a BBQ while sailing and we would go to Deer Island to relax. I have never really snorkelled in my life. But it was very worthwhile. Lots of colourful fish. Lots of sea cucumbers and purple sea urchins. To bad I couldn't take any pictures under water. ;)

8NR_3235.jpg

View while laying on the deck enjoying jungle juice (= cocktail based on local rum).

8NR_3384.jpg

8NR_3348-Edit.jpg

8NR_3410.jpg

The beaches of Deer Island.

8NR_3452.jpg

First I thought it was a fruit tree. Then all the fruit moved. Fruit bats everywhere! :)

This concludes our second day.

8NR_3495.jpg

Our hotel was located on the east coast. From the 9 days we stayed on Mauritius I only managed to get out of bed very early once towards the end of our vacation. The sunset happened right in front of the beach of the hotel.

We stayed at the LUX Belle Mare. A wonderful hotel which also offered an all inclusive package. Food and drinks are very expensive at the Mauritian Hotels. I think it's the best hotel we have ever stayed in. Reminds me I still need to write a TripAdvisor review. :)

8NR_3461.jpg

8NR_3473.jpg

8NR_3481.jpg

Beach Rouge. One of the 4 restaurants of the hotel. Best squid steak ever! :)

8NR_3676.jpg

8NR_3723.jpg

The LUX resorts have their own coffee melange and they are very proud on it. Inside the hotel there was something like a mini Starbucks. Neat!

Hope you enjoyed my 'report' of our honeymoon. Oh and of course a picture of my newly wed wife. :)

8NR_2898.jpg

More pictures at: http://www.mirrorshades.be/galleries/2015/mauritius

Beautiful wife and beautiful location to relax. I had to look up just where on our planet Mauritius was. Indian Ocean east of Madagascar.

Wishing you all the best in your new marriage.

An excellent place to visit, congrats on your wedding and new life together.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Congratulations and such a beautiful wife you have!

Your photos are lovely, and the one of the falls is spectacular. I'm also glad to hear that the hotel accommodations were great; it sounds like it was perfect for a holiday/getaway/honeymoon!

Beautiful wife and beautiful location to relax. I had to look up just where on our planet Mauritius was. Indian Ocean east of Madagascar.

Wishing you all the best in your new marriage.

Thank you Brad! Traveling from Europe it's one of the popular honeymoon destinations together with Bali and the Maladives.

Congratulations! Great set!

Thanks!

Congratulations! Thanks for the tour, I enjoyed it.

You are welcome! :)

An excellent place to visit, congrats on your wedding and new life together.

Thanks!

Congratulations and such a beautiful wife you have!

Your photos are lovely, and the one of the falls is spectacular. I'm also glad to hear that the hotel accommodations were great; it sounds like it was perfect for a holiday/getaway/honeymoon!

Thank you Lyndee! :)

Excellent series of pictures that tell a fun story! Your narrative adds so much to them--I wish more people did that!
Happy life :)

Thanks Nick!

I enjoyed your images and story. Thanks for sharing

Thank you. You're welcome!
Frank - Congratulations on your marriage! Pretty bride and great shots. Very nice color and composition. The D800 is a great camera. Thanks for posting.

Thanks! :)
Still in love with my D800, no need for me to upgrade for now. :)

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom