Honolulu to RDU GPS Screen Images

621663307_UvjRr-X2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

621663426_UT56t-X2.jpg

621663602_Cp5fd-X2.jpg

621663783_VyNzQ-X2.jpg

621664064_TJVYN-X2.jpg

621664317_kZRRm-X2.jpg

621664612_7CHBS-X2.jpg

621664946_EM9Ha-X2.jpg

621665312_fATim-X2.jpg

621665601_wibje-X2.jpg

:smile:

Now put that track into Google Earth.... like this:

193221920_mhXP8-O-1.jpg

So you had your GPS connected to your computer and were recording the track as you traveled? What kind of GPS was this? I tried it last year going to Alaska with my Garmin GPSMap 60CSx and it was lost most of the time (couldn't get a signal).

So you had your GPS connected to your computer and were recording the track as you traveled? What kind of GPS was this? I tried it last year going to Alaska with my Garmin GPSMap 60CSx and it was lost most of the time (couldn't get a signal).

It's a bluetooth GPS receiver, USGlobalSat BT-359:

http://usglobalsat.com/p-214-bt-359c.aspx

It fits nicely between the pulldown shade, and window on the plane, where it can get the satellite signals.

Works with a 60CSX as well at the window seats IF you have acquired as many satellites as possible before entering the plane. (Did my track with that device)

Acquiring new satellites from inside can be difficult and may only work if it's in the direction of the window (needs 30-40s errorless reception to use a new satellite).

Acquiring satellites can be difficult if you hang around inside the terminal before the flight. I had luck that I had to enter the plane from stairs and not a gangway and so I had a few minutes to get all the satellites before entering the plane. And still got a window seat (lucky me). :wink:

Works with a 60CSX as well at the window seats IF you have acquired as many satellites as possible before entering the plane. (Did my track with that device)

Acquiring new satellites from inside can be difficult and may only work if it's in the direction of the window (needs 30-40s errorless reception to use a new satellite).

Acquiring satellites can be difficult if you hang around inside the terminal before the flight. I had luck that I had to enter the plane from stairs and not a gangway and so I had a few minutes to get all the satellites before entering the plane. And still got a window seat (lucky me). :wink:

The BT-359 will do a "cold" acquisition if placed between the window and pulldown shade. If you have a laptop, or PDA, the bluetooth GPS receiver, along with the DeLorme software/maps are cheaper than the hand-held GPS units (Tomtom, Garmin, Magellan, etc.), and have more features.

It fits nicely between the pulldown shade, and window on the plane, where it can get the satellite signals.

Thanks. That's where I put mine as well. It did work some of the time.

How do you display the satellite track on your computer in real time? Or can you with the 60CSx? I download tracks after recording them but know no way to display on the computer in real time.

Thanks. That's where I put mine as well. It did work some of the time.

How do you display the satellite track on your computer in real time? Or can you with the 60CSx? I download tracks after recording them but know no way to display on the computer in real time.

The DeLorme software has a utility for loading track files and displaying them on the maps. Real time display is a normal GPS function, and when you stop the GPS, it gives you the option to specify a file name to store the track file.

If you have a laptop, or PDA, the bluetooth GPS receiver, along with the DeLorme software/maps are cheaper than the hand-held GPS units (Tomtom, Garmin, Magellan, etc.), and have more features.

Yes, but not very useful for backcountry hikes, which is what I bought the Garmin for. But it looks like that receiver is cheap enough to justify a second purchase.

I guess I don't fully understand... my 60CSX does display the track and position in real time on its map display. (Given you HAVE a map of that area)
Displaying on a computer in real time should be possible too if you hook it up to the computer, but I didn't try that (that's what I have the unit's map display for).

I guess I don't fully understand... my 60CSX does display the track and position in real time on its map display. (Given you HAVE a map of that area)
Displaying on a computer in real time should be possible too if you hook it up to the computer, but I didn't try that (that's what I have the unit's map display for).

Sorry, Daniel. I certainly get real-time display on the device, but I see no way to show the track in real-time on the computer. I guess you could leave the GPS connected to the computer and download the track frequently, but that is not quite real-time.

But now we have hi-jacked the thread. My bad.

Sorry, Daniel. I certainly get real-time display on the device, but I see no way to show the track in real-time on the computer. I guess you could leave the GPS connected to the computer and download the track frequently, but that is not quite real-time.

But now we have hi-jacked the thread. My bad.

No problem Jim, it was a good discussion!

A question for the admins....I posted the same image links on other forums, and they look clear, but they look a little distorted on NikonCafe. Any thoughts?

If anyone else is interested, I find there is a Garmin program called "nRoute" which enables real-time tracking with a Garmin GPS. Unfortunately it is no longer supported but it does utilize whatever version of MapSource you have installed on your computer.

Latest threads

Top Bottom