Honolulu Zoo - 1st Time Posting Pic's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by haze2, Apr 14, 2007.

1. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    A couple of months ago I left my beloved film behind and made the leap to digital. During this period I've been learning the Nikon D80, Elements, Photoshop, Bridge, Lightroom, pbase, and of course the Nikon Cafe. There has been some serious sensory overload to say the least! Many thanks to Sandi for her generous and patient help. This is my first attempt to post pics. These were taken at the Hololulu Zoo this week.

View attachment 90611

View attachment 90612

View attachment 90613

Look at me! I'm the King! I'm so impressive! LOOK AT ME!
    View attachment 90614

Oh pleaaase, I've seen better!
    View attachment 90615

Nikon D80 and kit lenses.

http://www.pbase.com/haze2/hnl_zoo

haze

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2007
  2. Nice work there, Haze. Looks like you've climbed the steep part of the digital learning curve already.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ver nice shots...

4. You have some beautiful shots there Haze, love the Peacock. Your sharpness and color saturation is excellent on these.

5. These are all very nice! I love the bright colors of the birds and the lighting on the meerkat. The monkeys are my favorite though...they crack me up with their antics, and these are no exception!

6. Excellent series for your first post here. You have obviously overcome some of the learning curve already! I look forward to more.

7. Excellent

Excellent pictures, thanks for sharing. I really love the picture of the Rhino, great capture!

8. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks for all the kind words. As I said in the text at the top of the post, I've had a lot of help. I still have a steep learning curve ahead, but I really don't mind since I'm having so much fun in the process. I'm so glad I discovered the Nikon Cafe!

haze

9. Sharon

Sharon

Feb 18, 2006
    First of all, lucky you, Honolulu Zoo! These are great, Haze. The colors in the peacock and the flamingo are beautiful. And I love "the king" in the tree.

10. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Fine shots from our funky little zoo!

11. Excellent shots! Well done.

12. Great series, Haze... looks like you're having fun learning! That solitary flamingo is great, and the fifth shot... well... what can I say that hasn't been said in the sixth frame!! Howlers, indeed!
    Good first post, what are you going to do for second? :wink:

13. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks again for you comments. I actually got to go twice which is really great because you never know what you are going to get on any given day. The Peacocks were the most fun to shoot because they were very friendly and allowed me to get very close. Their colors are amazing.

14. Excellent job - you're a fast learner. Wonderful colours and great DOF.

15. bob swanson

bob swanson Guest

Great work. You must have some long lenses in your collection. Do you have any versions of photoshop on your computer? :cool:  bsvirginian

16. haze2

haze2

Mar 18, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks Bob, actually these were all shot with the two kit lenses that came with the camera. Most of the time I was using the DX 55-200.

As for photoshop, yes I have it and that is where Sandi was such a big help. With the big mix of sun and shade I encountered at the zoo, the auto-WB was often fooled and the pic's would come out a bit flat with a blueish cast. Photoshop allows one to restore a picture to a closer representation of what the eye saw, if you know how to do it. I have just scratched the surface with this heavy-hitting program, but I'm having a great time in the learning process.

haze

17. asaya

asaya

Aug 7, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Tony Saya
    Nice work Haze some beautiful shots I like the Flamingo as well

18. Great pics Haze - those primates certainly have a lot of character :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.