Honolulu Zoo - 1st Time Posting Pic's

A couple of months ago I left my beloved film behind and made the leap to digital. During this period I've been learning the Nikon D80, Elements, Photoshop, Bridge, Lightroom, pbase, and of course the Nikon Cafe. There has been some serious sensory overload to say the least! Many thanks to Sandi for her generous and patient help. This is my first attempt to post pics. These were taken at the Hololulu Zoo this week.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 90611

View attachment 90612

View attachment 90613

Look at me! I'm the King! I'm so impressive! LOOK AT ME!
View attachment 90614

Oh pleaaase, I've seen better!
View attachment 90615

Nikon D80 and kit lenses.

http://www.pbase.com/haze2/hnl_zoo

haze

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Dave Watts
Excellent series for your first post here. You have obviously overcome some of the learning curve already! I look forward to more.

Thanks for all the kind words. As I said in the text at the top of the post, I've had a lot of help. I still have a steep learning curve ahead, but I really don't mind since I'm having so much fun in the process. I'm so glad I discovered the Nikon Cafe!

haze

First of all, lucky you, Honolulu Zoo! These are great, Haze. The colors in the peacock and the flamingo are beautiful. And I love "the king" in the tree.

Great series, Haze... looks like you're having fun learning! That solitary flamingo is great, and the fifth shot... well... what can I say that hasn't been said in the sixth frame!! Howlers, indeed!
Good first post, what are you going to do for second? :wink:

Thanks again for you comments. I actually got to go twice which is really great because you never know what you are going to get on any given day. The Peacocks were the most fun to shoot because they were very friendly and allowed me to get very close. Their colors are amazing.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

B

bob swanson

Great work. You must have some long lenses in your collection. Do you have any versions of photoshop on your computer? :cool: bsvirginian

Thanks Bob, actually these were all shot with the two kit lenses that came with the camera. Most of the time I was using the DX 55-200.

As for photoshop, yes I have it and that is where Sandi was such a big help. With the big mix of sun and shade I encountered at the zoo, the auto-WB was often fooled and the pic's would come out a bit flat with a blueish cast. Photoshop allows one to restore a picture to a closer representation of what the eye saw, if you know how to do it. I have just scratched the surface with this heavy-hitting program, but I'm having a great time in the learning process.

haze

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom