1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Honor Guard - Arlington National Cemetery

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by JMontes, Jul 24, 2008.

1. What an incredible place. We spent the day in DC and Arlington National Cemetery. I didn't care for DC all that much, but I spent hours in Arlington. I don't think words can describe it, you just have to see it. I got choked up trying to explain the significance of it to my kids (ages 6 and 9) as they complained about not wanting to be there. :frown: One day they will understand.

Got to watch the changing of the guard. This pic may not be the greatest and I aplogize. I have an old version of Elements on my work laptop, and it tends to make everything look blown out...it's a JPG straight OOC with auto WB. All that is pretty insignificant though, the picture is worth a thousand words.

[​IMG]

2. I was there last year for the first time and was only able to spend a couple of hours looking around. I felt the same way as you. I'm going back next year and will spend a full day there.

Nice shot.

3. I know what you mean. I could walk the grounds for hours reading the headstone of heroes.

4. wonderful thread and picture
    what was it about DC that you didn't like?
    where did you go?
    didn't the kids like the museums, etc?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2008
  5. Was there the first week of July.... and went through the same process of explaining to my kids (5 and 9) why they do that.

Also, wanted to show them that selfcontrol is actually possible :smile:

About DC - I lived there for about 3 years 10 years ago and still have good memories of the place. During our visit, started to think that maybe I wanted to go back there.... Now, on to find a job in DC or surroundings.

Some pics, including my interpretation of the tomb. In fairness, this has been processed in NX to leave only the silohuette of the guard to show that he is not important and should be as unknown as the soldiers he is guarding.

Florida_DC_20080701_0320.
    NIKON D200    ---    95mm    f/5.3    1/2000s    ISO 200

Florida_DC_20080701_0344.
    NIKON D200    ---    46mm    f/6.3    1/50s    ISO 200

Florida_DC_20080701_0342.
    NIKON D200    ---    80mm    f/6.3    1/80s    ISO 200

Florida_DC_20080701_0318.
    NIKON D200    ---    200mm    f/8.0    1/30s    ISO 200

Florida_DC_20080701_0345.
    NIKON D200    ---    200mm    f/5.6    1/50s    ISO 800

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2008
  6. Thanks All.

Greg, unfortunately time didn't allow us to hit the museums...I think I would've really enjoyed that...but as far as walking around looking at the white house from 500 yards away....well, not very enjoyable. You can see as much in a postcard :wink: Seeing monuments and things just doesn't really interest me.

What absolutely blew me away was the center of DC compared to a few blocks outside of the center. It went from slums to penthouses in a matter of 100 yards..simply amazing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.