Hooded mergansers are back

They show up each year around this time. They were however, in a backpond and it was hard to find a clear shot as most spots had vegetation along the shore. I got these two however.

_OAA3672.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_OAA3686.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I love Hooded Mergansers! I saw a bird this morning on our lake that I think and hope was a Hooded Merganser but he was really too far away to identify for sure. I kept watching, hoping he would swim down closer to me, but he didn't. It was odd, though that there was only one, as usually there are pairs of them, from what I recall from last year and the year before. They're such fun to watch and to shoot, so I'm hoping that I'll see more action in the next day or so!

We get ducks in local pond. This year I watched them teach the ducklings how to swim including developing stamina, how to forage for food. Then they went through molting process and flew away, south mostly.

Photos are great. My ducks swim away if I get anywhere near.

I love Hooded Mergansers! I saw a bird this morning on our lake that I think and hope was a Hooded Merganser but he was really too far away to identify for sure. I kept watching, hoping he would swim down closer to me, but he didn't. It was odd, though that there was only one, as usually there are pairs of them, from what I recall from last year and the year before. They're such fun to watch and to shoot, so I'm hoping that I'll see more action in the next day or so!
I hope you see some too.

These are adorable! I've never seen them before.
Some of the best hoodies I have photographed were at the Viera Wetlans.

We get ducks in local pond. This year I watched them teach the ducklings how to swim including developing stamina, how to forage for food. Then they went through molting process and flew away, south mostly.

Photos are great. My ducks swim away if I get anywhere near.
I really like watching animal parents train their young.

This morning I looked out and saw that yesterday's guess was correct -- indeed, it was a Hooded Merganser that I had seen swimming at a distance from me, close to the foot of the lake. Bingo! Quickly grabbed my 100-400mm and slipped it on the camera and went out to the deck to get a few shots of him. Wish I'd had a 600mm with 1.4x TC like you did! I was in a hurry, concerned that he'd disappear so I didn't take the time to put on the 200-600 and take the tripod out there, which would have worked, too, and gotten closer to him. Nonetheless, I'm happy. Just wondering where the rest of the gang is....

Also saw our cormorant again, too. He's popped in-and-out of here a few times over the past several months, so now maybe he'll stick around for a little while.

Nice Allan.
Thanks Ron.

This morning I looked out and saw that yesterday's guess was correct -- indeed, it was a Hooded Merganser that I had seen swimming at a distance from me, close to the foot of the lake. Bingo! Quickly grabbed my 100-400mm and slipped it on the camera and went out to the deck to get a few shots of him. Wish I'd had a 600mm with 1.4x TC like you did! I was in a hurry, concerned that he'd disappear so I didn't take the time to put on the 200-600 and take the tripod out there, which would have worked, too, and gotten closer to him. Nonetheless, I'm happy. Just wondering where the rest of the gang is....

Also saw our cormorant again, too. He's popped in-and-out of here a few times over the past several months, so now maybe he'll stick around for a little while.
I use a 1.4 on the 200-600. Don't be disappointed - the mergansers will stick around.

Thanks Ron.

I use a 1.4 on the 200-600. Don't be disappointed - the mergansers will stick around.

I'm sure that they will -- there have got to be more than just this one lone guy lurking around somewhere! Last year we had ten of them who spent the winter with us.

Yes, I use a 1.4x on the 200-600mm, too -- actually forgot about that! I really should've grabbed that lens.... Oh, well, he'll be back and hopefully with his friends and family!

Latest threads

Top Bottom